It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Chapter 8, Page 20, Book 14



How to Navigate Life

by Max Lucado, Eye of the Storm

When no one is watching, live as if someone is.

Succeed at home first.

Pray twice as much as you fret.

Listen twice as much as you speak.

God has forgiven you; you’d be wise to do the same.

Once a week, let a child take you on a walk.

Only harbor a grudge when God does.

 Never let the important be the victim of the trivial.

Life is like a maze in which you try to avoid the exit. 

Our journey in life often looks more like a maze than a straight line. When we look back we can see where we have taken wrong turns, hit dead ends, lost time, meandered in wrong directions and twisted and turned at unexpected places. We thought we were going one way and had to head another. When we start out, few of us know exactly what we want to be or where we want to end up. Real life has no signs, and no straight lines.

When I was young I thought I knew exactly where my life was headed.  I made plans and they started out to be exactly what I expected, but there were many changes and I’ve wound up in a place that is totally unexpected.  Since I’m still living, I’m sure there will be many new paths I’m going to have to take too.  Sometimes we can choose where we want to go, other times the choice is made for us.  But it is how we handle the changes that is important.   A maze, full of choices, challenges and questioning at every turn, is an adventure.

Happiness, that grand mistress of the ceremonies in the dance of life, impels us through all its mazes and meandering, but leads none of us by the same route 

Charles Caleb Colton


5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Love this quote,"Life is like a maze in which you try to avoid the exit."

betty said...

I liked the writing of Max Lucado, especially when he said to take a walk with a child once a week; the world is so different through their eyes, isn't it?

betty

jack69 said...

SWEET. I am saving the Lucado quote. It sure makes sense.
We hit the road headed for Virginia in the morning. No rain here lately... but nice and cool.
We are ready for an absence of traffic. hahaha

Martha@SeasideSimplicity said...

So true! I sure have missed your wise words. Thanks so much for stopping by to welcome me back :)

linda m said...

Love the quotes; they are so pertinent. Blessings