It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, August 02, 2014

Chapter 8, Page 2, Book 14


Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on. 

 Samuel Butler

Life cannot be mastered before we actually live it. We have to stumble, trip and fall sometimes. We have to suffer embarrassment. We all make mistakes. And all the time the world around us will be watching.

We’ve all heard the saying that practice makes perfect, and for me I think I spend my life practicing for the big act!  I’m always learning and doing things over too.  Learning something new is not a bad thing at all, but learning the same thing over and over isn’t much fun at all.

I have to tell you that when I was very young, 5th grade I think, I started to learn how to play the violin.  I didn’t mind the practice, I loved it, it was my parents that had to put up with the hours of bad playing on my part.  I really should have stuck with it but about the time I really started to learn how, I quit.  I was young and very whimsical and my likes changed day by day.

With anything that matters in life, we have to learn how to stay committed to what we want and even though we make mistakes, we cannot give up.  


Happiness is a thing to be practiced, like the violin. 

Sir John Lubbock

5 comments:

Carol Z said...

The first days of any new endeavor are tough. I don't always catch on to things so quickly, and my temptation is just to quit. Luckily I fight that temptation and try to remember it takes some time to get things better. Have a great Saturday!

jack69 said...

This is a good comparrison. Our lives are on display, some more public than others, but never the less each stumble is seen, it is how we recover that counts.
Take care.... we are in rain today..

betty said...

So true, Ma, that we can't master life until we actually live it; we can tell someone about an experience, but they truly won't understand it until they live it themselves. I think a lot of people realize they should have stuck with an instrument later on in their lives. I do think the violin is one of the hardest ones to learn too!

betty

Mevely317 said...

I, too, was a student of the violin, Ma... not because I longed to play pretty music -- rather, dad used to play it and wanted his only child to do the same. (Never mind that mother felt the same way about the piano!)
Annnyway! Before turning 16, I quit both instruments. And yes, I occasionally wonder, 'what if?'.

TARYTERRE said...

My brother took violin lessons. I would help him practice. So I like this analogy.