It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Chapter 7, Page 8, Book 14


Time is the coin of your life.
You spend it.
Do not allow others to spend it for you.

Carl Sandburg

I think that most of us weave our lives around the people in our lives.  What we do day to day depends on what others in our family or what our friends might be doing.  Very often our plans are not really ours but that of others.

While I think it is important for all of us to have other people in our lives,  it is good also to take the time to consider just what we want to do with our life.  Our hopes and dreams are just as important as those of our loved ones and our friends.  We all need to take and make time for ourselves. 

A meaningful life is a life full of meaning… and to me that means I am doing what I love, no matter what plans others might have for me.  I do enjoy my family so they are definitely a part of doing what I love.  But that doesn’t mean I don’t have a life full of meaning with out them.  Truthfully I love to do a lot of things that they don’t like to do. 

What is one person’s idea of a good time is not always everyone’s choice at all.   I do spend a lot of time on my own and never have a dull day.  I know people that don’t quit working and retire like I did because they wouldn’t know what to do with themselves if left all on their own.

Not me…I me.  I can enjoy every day with our without others.  And when I am with others, I like to believe that what I’m doing is also something I enjoy.  I don’t go to every event I’m invited to.  If I’m joining in on what others have planned it’s because I enjoy doing what they are doing.  You can’t let others pressure you into something you’re not.   Don't let anyone's ignorance, drama, or negativity stop you from being the best you can be.

As with all things, it’s our choice and it's how we spend the days that determines how we spend our life.

If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.

Jim Rohn

3 comments:

jack69 said...

We visited Sanburgs house once. A place of solitude in the mountains. He had a view to think, he said. That is a grand thought.
Ho ho this was my catch this morning:
A meaningful life is a life full of meaning… to quote MA!
A great entry to hit the road with.
Thanks.... See you from Virginia this afternoon.

linda m said...

Those really are some words of wisdom. I too enjoy solitude as well as company - both in moderation. It is much nicer to be with people who enjoy the same things you do than to just be with people. Blessings

betty said...

I like that quote from Carl Sandburg. I think a lot of people when they retire don't realy think ahead what they will do when they are retired and then they often go back to a part time job to fill those hours of the day. I think when and if I get to retirement, I'll be like you, Ma, always finding something to occupy my time that I enjoy doing, even if it is a bit of rest :)

betty