It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Chapter 7, Page 1, Book 14


Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won't feel so thankful then.

Garrison Keillor

To me, living the good life includes things like faith, graciousness, knowledge, self control, perseverance, devotedness, kindness, and love.   Each of us has our own way of life, ‘differences’ as they call it. This may not be what others think of when they think of living the good life, but for me these are the things that a necessary if you really want to have a good life.

When you think about it...Without love and all of its magnificent qualities, life is tasteless and not worth living.  A good way to begin is by smiling at the people you encounter throughout the day. A smile is a symbol of acceptance and approval, which is something most of the people in the world desperately need.  Love is always giving.

Smile. Nothing beats a cheerful heart and mind. Be happy regardless. Make the world a better place to live in. Start sharing your sweet smile.

People don’t care how much you know, they want to know how much you care. Start caring and let the people know that you care. Remember, that relationship is more lasting than accomplishments and prestige.

The good life is about appreciating all your time, not just your leisure time.  Every negative outcome holds a positive lesson.  Finding it is the key to greatness.  The good life, in its most simple form, is a series of never ending satisfaction that only grows more powerful as time goes on.  It has nothing to do with the material possessions or artificially induced sensations. The good life is based on the compassionate deeds you perform and the personal goals you strive to achieve.

We need to know what the good life means so that we can recognize it when we get there.  I might not have all I want but I do have all I need.  Appreciating what you have instead of whining about what you don’t have makes me very contented. 

Life is not all about working and spending and working more to have more to spend.  There should be time for family and friends, for worship and prayer. 

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.

Bertrand Russell

4 comments:

betty said...

I liked how you summed up the good life, Ma. I couldn't agree with you more or add to it in any way. Now to get the mind set to live such a life (at least for me :)

betty

jack69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack69 said...

I like it. Oh how important love and caring are. you hit it out of the park with this:

People don’t care how much you know, they want to know how much you care.
SWEET!
(One day I will do my editing BEFORE hitting publish. (smile)

TARYTERRE said...

I love Garrison Keillor. Listen to him on a Prairie Home Companion on the radio.