It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Chapter 6, Page 29, Book 14



What does summer smell like?

Certain smells are obvious: The sweetness of Coppertone suntan lotion is at once exotic yet altogether familiar and of cut grass just mowed and the smell of chlorine when first diving into the pool, and a charcoal barbecue that always makes me hungry.  

It used to be that one of my favorite summer smells was the smell of freshly laundered sheets dried by the sunshine. My sheets still smell good thanks to a lavender scented fabric softener I use, but they are dried by my clothes dryer not by the sun outdoors on a clothesline.  Who would ever think one could possibly miss hanging out clothes on the line, but I do.

Then comes the wonderful smells of our state and county fairs.  Lots of good food there that is not necessarily good for you but delicious to eat.  Things like sausage sandwiches, waffles, and deep fried Oreo cookies.

And, I love the smells of the beach with waves lapping on the shore. Ahhh... nothing smells more invigorating then the sweet scent of the beach!  To me there is nothing better than a trip to the beach.  It’s my favorite place to be.

And of course I’d be lacking if I didn’t mention the smell of the fragrant brew of my good cup of coffee every morning too.  There is nothing quite like it to start off my day.  Summer or winter it is always just right!

Smell is a potent wizard that transports us across thousands of miles and all the years we have lived. 

Helen Keller

5 comments:

Hollie said...

I love the smell of fresh brewing coffee as well!! I have my coffee maker set to come on about 30 minutes before I get up. That way I can lay in bed and enjoy the smell of the coffee making!!

jack69 said...

Neat subject. From childhood, the smell of the earth after a summer rain while wading in the gutters and ditches in the warm water.
Ahhh, splashing barefoot in the clean rain water.....
I like this...

Back Porch Writer said...

Summer smells around here. Mowed grass, honeysuckle and other flowers - just a hint, cat poop sometimes. Not so pleasant. Since Bob is gone it's been better and I don't see any anymore. lol

Love the smells of grilled food and of the smells of outside cafes and sidewalks which are poppin' up more and more around here.

Love the smell of the ocean and beach and Hawaiian tropic coconut smells. When we get to go. Love the smell of Downey! Fresh linen! Have a great Sunday.

betty said...

These were all great smells of summer, Ma! Hamburgers cooking on a grill is another great summer scent!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

Love that you mentioned the smell of suntan lotion and oils. Always an important part of summer, for sure. I saw that Yankee candle just came out with a new candle that smells just like a fresh brewed pot of coffee. Since I do not drink coffee but love the smell of it, I thought that was nice.