It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Chapter 6, Page 21, Book 14



Sunset last night - the Eve of Summer

Today is the first day of the rest of your summer….

Finally summer is officially here.  I know for some it has already seemed like summer for quite a while.  The days ahead will be busy and relaxing at the same time.  I for one relish the long hours of daylight and warmth.  Every day has 24 hours but summer days seem longer than most.  

In another completely different way summer does seem short and speeds by like a flash of lightning.  I try to savor summer days.  They keep me going throughout our long long winters here.  Now that summer is officially here I’m switching my theme for next few weeks to what I might want to do with the rest of my summer and my life…

We are only guaranteed  that we have today, but if we are blessed to have another tomorrow, it’s not a bad thing to think about what we want to do tomorrow.  As I’ve gotten older I find there is not much new that I truly aspire to do in the future.  I’ve led a good life and have done many things and am happy to be in the place and time I am right now.  Life as I’ve known it is changing.  I’ve changed.  So maybe it’s time I developed a new Bucket List.  

 I’ve been struck by words from Psalm 90:10 & 12. Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strength endures… for they quickly pass, and we fly away… Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.  We don’t any of us know what tomorrow will bring, but life goes on with our without us.  When you turn 70, you can't consider yourself middle aged any more. Let's face it, my body might be old, but I still think young.

  One thing I’ve promised myself is that I’ll watch the sunset every evening of this summer.  It’s a reminder to me how thankful I am for summer days. So get ready to see my somewhat blemished view of the sunset here everyday.  I live in the middle of a block with trees and houses all around so it’s not like what some of you may see.  We had a lot of rain yesterday and it was pretty cloudy, still you can see the red in the sky.


My bucket list for the rest summer and the rest of my life…

To see everything as if for the first time

To squeeze every ounce of JOY out of my life

To live it up until it’s gone...Live Life to the Very Last Minute

To be positive and hope for good health 

 To truly treasure and value each day

To remember what’s most important

To count my blessings every day

I’ll be sharing more thoughts on this list in the days to come.  

Happy Summer everyone!


4 comments:

betty said...

What a great theme you are having for the next few weeks, Ma. I look forward to reading your thoughts. I too like Psalm 90:12. Something indeed to think about, I know I'll read Ecceliastes and I'm always struck with Solomon's opinion about life being meaningless unless one has a relationship with God. So true indeed!

Great list you have too of what you want to accomplish this summer; I like the idea of watching the sunset daily.

Enjoy!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

I love your bucket list. It's wonderful, indeed. And in my experience, I have learned that it doesn't matter where you watch the sun set, there is always something new in the sky to see.

jack69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack69 said...

jack69 said...
I love sunrises and sunsets. As I have gotten older I see less sunrises, but more SUNSETS. Yousaid this:
Let's face it, my body might be old, but I still think young.'''''

Only us folks who are there or getting there actually know that, but it is so true. I just tucked Sherry in for the night and she is as lovely as when we were first married.
I never chide the youth for not understanding age, I know if they live long enough, they too will suddenly be educated by life.
Love ya MA, as always a good one!