It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, May 30, 2014

Chapter 5, Page 30, Book 14


There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace. 

Aldo Leopold

Day 41 of 50: Visit a farm or take a hike in the country

When I was a child I had grandparents that lived on a farm.  The barn and some of the out buildings are still there.  The house they lived in though, is no longer there.  One of my uncles built a new house on the sight where the chicken house and the garden used to be.  The picture today is of that farm.

Those days on the farm are some of my favorite childhood memories.  There is so much in life that I wouldn’t know about if I’d not ever had the times spent there.

I still love to hear a rooster crow in the mornings greeting the day with their cheerful message.  Since I live in the city that doesn’t happen here, but when visiting with one of my sons I got to hear one every morning during my stay.  

Here are just a few lessons I learned from my time on the farm.  Beyond a love for animals and an appreciation for where our food comes from, I learned many life lessons.

Many times on the farm, even when you give your best effort, things don’t go in your favor. Mother Nature can be unpredictable and crops can be ruined and animals can be lost to unexpected storms or other events. I was taught that life is not easy and when disappointment comes, you pick yourself up and try again.

In farming, you get out of it what you put into it. When you plant with high quality seed, you receive a higher quality harvest. When you dedicate your time to doing a job correctly, without cutting corners, you are more likely to get your desired results. I’ve learned in life that the results I get out of anything are based directly on the efforts I put into it.  You reap what you sow.

When you’re raising animals, you will have to deal with loss.  I saw how important it was to make decisions that are in the best interest of the animal, even if it means losing something you love.  The animals are completely dependent on us. If we forgot to feed them, they would go hungry. If we forgot to give them water, they would be thirsty.

Nothing in life is ever certain.  Farmers know that things don’t always go as you expect.

The best food is made from scratch.  I loved my grandma’s cooking!  She taught me how to make the best biscuits I’ve ever eaten.  Even though I still make them, they are not the same.  I don’t have the fresh ingredients that she used.  Buttermilk does make for some good biscuits! 

I spent countless days of my childhood on the farm mooing at the cows and watching grandpa plow the fields while grandma tended to her garden.  Life on the farm is not an easy and glamorous life, but it is one can teach us a lot about living in accordance with nature, the importance of forethought and simple living. It teaches us to value our time and resources,and remind us about who we are and where we came from.

Difficult situations are like the trips and falls of childhood and even through occasional tears, I learned and improved. As I look back now, I realize that these challenges were my greatest teachers.


Today I’m thankful for:

1715. for flowers that don’t need watering when it rains
1716.  for herbs that add flavor and zest to our food
1717. for a refreshing cup of Lemon Zinger tea


A child on a farm sees a plane fly overhead and dreams of a faraway place. A traveler on the plane sees the farmhouse below and dreams of home. 

Robert Brault


2 comments:

jack69 said...

Oh sweet lady, the memories you do stir. Great thoughts and memories. Both my parents were products of farms, but I only remember Great Grandpa's farm.
The picture is beautiful.

betty said...

I loved the picture of the farm; again I'm always impressed with how green everything is back where you live, Ma. I liked the quote in the beginning of your post today, Ma. That is a good one and a true one. I also loved reading about your lessons learned on the farm; I think that is so well written it should be included in some type of publication, but what kind I don't know. Definitely a noteworthy article that I think would be enjoyed by a lot of people.

betty