It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Chapter 4, Page 9, Book 14


Getting Along Better


Proven Ways to Get Along Better With EVERYONE

Before you say anything to anyone, ask yourself 3 things: 

Is it true?
 Is it kind?
Is it necessary?

Make promises sparingly and keep them faithfully. 

Never miss the opportunity to compliment or say something encouraging to someone. 

Refuse to talk negatively about others; don't gossip and don't listen to gossip. 

Have a forgiving view of people. Believe that most people are doing the best they can. 

Keep an open mind; discuss, but don't argue. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Forget about counting to 10. Count to 1,000 before doing or saying anything that could make matters worse. 

Let your virtues speak for themselves. 

If someone criticizes you, see if there is any TRUTH to what he is saying; if so, make changes. If there is no truth to the criticism, ignore it and live so that no one will believe the negative remark. 

Author Unknown



Cultivate your sense of humor; laughter is the shortest distance between two people. 


Do not seek so much to be consoled, as to console; do not seek so much to be understood, as to understand; do not seek so much to be loved as to love.

Author Unknown

TODAY’S FOCUS:

Give up gossiping----control your tongue.

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. 

 Eleanor Roosevelt

I’m doing a day two on this subject as it is one many of us have problems with.  I often catch myself saying something I shouldn’t.  It’s one of those things that are so easy to do and so hard not to do.

I know that in this life I will never achieve perfection. Maybe I’m slow to learn, but for me, this is a significant insight.  I must say that this Lent I’ve really been hard pressed to keep up with those things on this list that I must give up.  Every day has been a challenge.  But I’m so glad I have pursued this Lenten Mediation.  It has made me realize just how much I needed to be reminded of my faults and makes me want to improve.

I’m trying very hard to remember that if I don’t have something nice to say, then it isn’t worth saying at all.


Proverbs 21:23 

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

Those who gossip to you will gossip about you.


3 comments:

betty said...

I'm glad you are taking the time to do this with the tongue over several days Ma and the power of words, both ways, negatively and positively. I know several blogs talked about Gossip yesterday for G; I had to stop and really analyze how much gossiping I do and realize its a problem I have on some things. I will be doing a little work myself on my tongue and words over the next few weeks before Easter and beyond.

betty

jack69 said...

Most everyone has dealt with Gossip, and it seems that most humans at one time or the other have lived to regret passing on some gossip.

Most of us WILL NOT START GOSSIP, but will pass some along, most times not even thinking.

So you are good here. We do have to think. Counting isn't bad either. (smile)
Looks like a nice day here in South Carolina.

TARYTERRE said...

I believe that most people are doing the best they can do. You can't ask more than that.