It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Chapter 4, Page 8, Book 14



Killing With Words

My Name Is Gossip.
I have no respect for justice.
I maim without killing.
I break hearts and ruin lives
I am cunning and malicious
and gather strength with age.

The more I am quoted
the more I am believed.
I flourish at every
level of society.

My victims are helpless.
They cannot protect themselves
against me because
I have no name and no face.

To track me down is impossible
The harder you try, the more elusive I become.

I am nobody's friend.

Once I tarnish a reputation,
it is never the same.

I topple governments
and ruin marriages.
I end ministries set up by God.

I ruin careers and
cause sleepless nights,
heartache and indigestion.
I spawn suspicion
and generate grief.

I make innocent people
cry in their pillows.
Even my name hisses.

I AM CALLED GOSSIP.

  Church gossip
Office gossip
Shop gossip
 Party gossip
Online gossip
Telephone gossip

I make headlines & headaches!

Before You Repeat A Story,
Ask Yourself . . .

IS IT TRUE?
IS IT FAIR?
IS IT NECESSARY?
WOULD I WANT IT DONE TO ME?

Author Unknown



A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver

Provers 25:11


Today’s focus:

Give up gossiping----control your tongue.


 Remember once you say it you can never take it back.

My grandmother was pretty smart when it came to the tongue. She sprinkled her daily conversation with wise sayings like, Keep your tongue between your teeth and, Think twice before you speak once. The Scottish people have some proverbs, too: Keep your tongue a prisoner and your body will go free, and A long tongue shortens friendships. My grandmother would also tell us, Remember, one day you'll answer to God for every word you say.

I believe that our words reflect what's in our hearts. If a man loves sports, he talks sports. If he loves money, he talks money. If he loves art, he talks art.  There's nothing that gives us away as much as our speech. Our speech shows where our hearts are.  You can't cover up your heart. If there's bitterness in our hearts, it will come out through what we say and how we say it. If there's hatred, hatred will come. If there's anger, anger will come.

Maybe we should be more thankful and have that grateful heart that we should have. Then maybe we'd have a better outlook when it comes to some of these things that we allow to affect us. 

Realizing we’ve all made messes in life, we can trust the Lord to help us deal gently with others.


We show love and respect by controlling our tongues.  

True love both confronts and restores.

7 comments:

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Isn't gossip a great thing to give up for Lent--and maybe the habit will stick!

betty said...

I like that gossip poem; I'm going to copy it and post it on someone's A/Z post that was talking about gossip for the letter G today, Ma, (she was against gossip). I have to say there are times I do gossip a bit, I need to learn to control my tongue over that for sure! So true for us to learn to control that small little part of our body; it does so much damage if we don't.

betty

jack69 said...

Great statement my friend, "I believe that our words reflect what's in our hearts."

I am with Betty, the poem is 'spot on.'
But humans, me included, slip into a gossip mode when we are not 'holding out tongue between our teeth!'
VERY good entry...

TARYTERRE said...

I love the quote, "Remember once you say it you can never take it back." Truer words were never spoken.

Elizabeth said...

A very good post!

Carol Z said...

So right. I try to remember to think, think and think again before I speak.

Chatty Crone said...

You know you can say one just one word and hurt someone forever. We do have to be careful with what we say.