It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Chapter 4, Page 24, Book 14


Having a place to go — is a home. Having someone to love — is a family. Having both — is a blessing. 

Donna Hedges

There are days that go by here at my house that for the most part I am alone.  My family may be large but they are all grown with families of their own.  They have jobs and responsibilities that keep them busy day to day  A very few of them live close, most are far away, but I do know if I need them they will be here for me.  

The picture above was of three of my children, the two youngest of my sons and my daughter,  and their families taken at church on Easter Sunday.  I don’t often get them there with me, usually I’m sitting by myself.  I do have warm memories of filling a whole pew just with my family alone.

We try to get together for holidays and special occasions, but it’s not often at all that the whole family is together.  If they can’t make it in person though I know they are here in spirit.  I’ve never regretted having such a large family.  They’ve been a blessing to me for sure


Day 4 of 50:  Plan fun family activities.  Do one for every week of Easter.

We do make sure there are some times set aside to be together.  The dates are usually set aside far in advance.  It’s not easy finding a time that is convenient for everyone so we put the date on the calendar.  Just like making an appointment for a dentist or doctor, the time is set aside.  

Cling to the people who love you.  We  all really need someone to lean on. It's only after we've come through the darkness that we realize that others were there, urging us on, reminding us to mind our step.

This Easter season, find joy in those who traveled through your Lent, literally and figuratively,  with you.  For me, my family and friends are the ones that help to keep me on track.

We laugh. We play. We give thanks.

Today I’m thankful for:

1610. For trees, big or small and their wonderful blossoms this time of year
1611. for my home, it’s a comfortable place to be
1612.  for a life, deeply rooted in faith

When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses. 

Joyce Brothers

5 comments:

linda m said...

For the most part I am alone also ( except for my hubby of course). I only have one child - a son - and he and his family live in GA. I do have a brother and sister but we never see each other (they live far away and we are estranged). However, I do get to see my son at least once a year and I do know that if I need him he will be there for me. Next to God, family has always come first. I cherish every moment spent with them. Blessings

betty said...

Great picture of part of your family, Ma. Wise words to cling to your family and to make special time to spend with them. I think it is wonderful you have such a large family! I know that they are scattered here and there, but I know there is lots of love among you all!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

You are lucky, indeed to have a large family. I'm glad you got to spend Easter together. My family is small and far away and we do not get together often.

jack69 said...

You are definitely a family type guy!!!!
We laugh. We play. We give thanks. I know you have taught your family that very thing!!!!
SWEET

JeanJournal said...

I love todays post and feel the sweetness you felt in church with some of your family~~~my three and their families were with me on Easter in church also~~~blessya ma and hope SPRING is there now where you live instead of snow~~~JeanJournal