It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Chapter 4, Page 10, Book 14



You Will Never Be Sorry...


...for thinking before acting.
...for hearing before judging.


...for forgiving your enemies.
...for being candid and frank.


...for helping a fallen brother.
...for being honest in business.


...for thinking before speaking.
...for being loyal to your church.


...for standing by your principles.
...for closing your ears to gossip.


...for bridling a slanderous tongue.
...for harboring pure thoughts.


...for sympathizing with the afflicted.
...for being courteous and kind to all.


Author Unknown 


TODAY’S FOCUS:

Give up gossiping----control your tongue.

Psalm 34:13 

 Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.

Day 3 of a very difficult subject.  I haven’t thought of my self as a lier before.  But maybe I’ve been found guilty.  If I repeat something that I’ve heard without knowing if it is the truth, then maybe I am a liar.  

I must admit, that’s a terrible thought.  It is a wise person that knows for sure of what he speaks.  

There is a story told about an elderly man that had serious hearing problems for a number of years. His family tried again and again to convince him to get a hearing aid. Finally he relented. He went to the doctor and was fitted for a set of hearing aids that allowed him to hear 100 percent.

A month later he went back to the doctor. The doctor said with a smile, Your hearing is perfect. Your family must be really pleased that you can hear again.

The old man replied, Oh, I haven’t told my family yet. They still think that I cannot hear, but I just sit around and listen to their conversations. I’ve changed my will three times!

All of us say things that we later wish we did not say. I am not aware that someone has changed a will because of what I have said, but speaking appropriately is a constant struggle for me.

Foolishness always results when the tongue outraces the brain. 

Author Unknown


3 comments:

jack69 said...

Yeah, gossip is one thing that is hard to admit, even though very few folk are found 'NOT GUILTY'.

Sometimes silence is better than being Frank. But I do like the entry very much because it is a VERY important subject....

betty said...

Oh, I like that story with the man and the hearing aids; that's a good reminder for us to be careful of our words even if people can hear 100% Also liked that You Will Never Be Sorry; good way to live if we follow the advice in it.

I know that at one point in my younger years I had trouble with telling "white" lies, but a lie is a lie is a lie no matter how small or big. I resolved not to lie and worked hard not to. While I can't say that I'm 100% truthful these days, it is A LOT better than before.

betty

Carol Z said...

Me, too. I'm getting a lot out of this series. Hope you've got great spring weather. It's lovely here!