It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Chapter 4, Page 1, Book 14


The Size of Your Heart


It isn't the size of your house
That matters much at all.
It's a gentle hand and its loving touch,
That makes you great or small.

The friends who come to visit,
When out of your house they depart,
Will judge it not by the style you show,
But rather by the size of your heart.

It isn't how smart you are,
Or the wealth you've found.
Happiness comes from how you touch
The lives that are all around.

Making money is not hard,
But living life well is an art.
How people love and regard you,
Is all in the size of your heart.

Author Unknown



TODAY’S FOCUS:

Give up pettiness----become mature.


When someone takes a small subject and blows it out of proportion, making something otherwise insignificant into something bigger, they are being petty.  I’ve heard it said that we shouldn’t make a mountain out of a mole hill and that is what pettiness is. 

It seems to me that it is those people who are focused only on themselves, their wants, their hurts, and their problems.  The petty ones can be found parading their 'poor me’ attitude.  They care too much about small, unimportant things and perhaps that they are unnecessarily unkind.

They are never satisfied or grateful for what they have, rather they focus their entire attention on everything they don’t have, and they try and tear down anyone else who truly is happy in their lives.  

I’ve found that we cannot control what others say and do.  We can only control our own actions. Don't obsess on what other people say, or think about you. Be your own person. You are a great individual just the way you are

 If we are mature enough we will recognize that there are plenty of happy, secure, kind people out there who have gratitude and who spread joy to others.  We need to fill our lives  with those people and avoid petty people and the petty things that can only bring us down.

5 comments:

linda m said...

Love today's poem. I know way too many people who spend all their time having a "pity me party". All they ever do is whine and complain. After many discussions with God I have decided that I really don't need people like that in my life and I now try to avoid them. God wants me to be happy and these people drag me down. I am grateful every day to God for His many blessings. I may not have a lot of material things but I have God's love and that is enough for me. Blessings

TARYTERRE said...

I agree with you about not obsessing on what other people say, or think about you. It can be hurtful, for sure. But you have to rise above it.

betty said...

I loved that poem, Ma. You always find great ones like that to feature on your blog! So true about pettiness; we can make mountains out of a molehill, but the mature person learns how to stop making them and to deal with petty issues indeed!

betty

jack69 said...

Even at 75 I still haven't matured past the point of trying to assist in what others say and do.

Definitely a fault, and I have made a mountain of a mole hill(in my mind), shucks it isn't hard (LOL).

Very good entry. Sherry reads but never comments except to me. She especially enjoyed you entry yesterday!

Love from here. seems like South Georgia will have a pleasant day!!!

JeanJournal said...

((((((( OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD ~ and HE WILL MAKE US AWESOME TOO ~IF WE BUT ASK ~ THANKS MA ~ EVERY DAY YOUR BLOG IS AWESOME!!!!!!! the poem? LOVEIT!~~~~~jeahJournal