It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Chapter 3, Page 5, Book 14


Looking outside at the snow through a wreath of of forsythia with hopes of Spring

Today is Ash Wednesday and for me that means the beginning of Lent.  It’s a 40 day period of preparation before Easter.  During Lent I’ll be giving up some things in my life.  I keep this list and try to use it every year during Lent.  It’s something I’ve found to be a help to me as I prepare for Easter.

A Lenten Reflection

Give up complaining----focus on gratitude.
Give up pessimism----become an optimist.
Give up harsh judgments----think kindly thoughts.
Give up worry----trust Divine Providence.
Give up discouragement----be full of hope.
Give up bitterness----turn to forgiveness.
Give up hatred----return good for evil.
Give up negativism----be positive.
Give up anger----be more patient
Give up gossiping----control your tongue.
Give up pettiness----become mature.
Give up gloom----enjoy the beauty that is all around you.
Give up jealousy----pray for trust.
Give up gossiping----control your tongue.
Give up sin----turn to virtue.
Give up giving up----hang in there!
Unknown

For the next several weeks leading up to Easter I thought I’d focus my thoughts toward the points on my list.  They’ll be what I call my Lenten meditations.   Hopefully you all find something along the way that might be helpful to you to.
We’ll see as the weeks go by.  

4 comments:

linda m said...

That is one of the best Lenten Reflection lists I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing. Blessings

jack69 said...

I have a feeling that list is not just for Lent!

Love from down here. We will be back at our home base just before Easter. Sherry is a stickler for flowers on her mom and dad's graves....

Take care. Today was a moving day. We are now settled...

Elizabeth said...

I love this Lenten Reflection list! I agree with Jack this should not be just for Lent, but for everyday!

betty said...

I am glad that you put this up every year for Lent, Ma! It is a good reminder of what to give up and what to put on!

betty