It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Chapter 3, Page 4, Book 14


Eventually you realize that your whole life up to now has been preparation, and you begin to suspect that the rest might be preparation, too.  

Robert Brault

I’ve always thought that half the fun of any holiday is the preparation.  The day itself goes by so quickly so I try to purposely enjoy those days of preparation leading up to whatever special day it might be.

But after reading the quote above it occurred to me that, yes, we are doing some kind of preparations every day of our lives.  Tomorrow is the first day of Lent.  Lent is a season before Easter when we try to prepare ourselves to more aware and apart of Easter.  Sure I’ve celebrated many Easters, but each year when it rolls around, we sometimes forget just why we are celebrating.  It’s not all about bunnies and chocolate candy.

I’ve lots to do here at my house before Easter comes.  Thankfully I’ve got plenty of time to prepare.  There will be some house cleaning being done and some soul searching too.  There will be some gifts being made and some unexpected ones received too. 


April 20th is the official date for Easter, and here at my house, Easter preparation will be going on all the 40 + days until it arrives.

Seems like just yesterday, we were preparing for Christmas.  We hung wreaths, lit candles, trimmed the tree, wrapped gifts and strung lights.  But what do we do for Easter.  We dye a few eggs, buy a new outfit and some chocolate Easter eggs and we’re done…All set. We arrive at church expecting that God will meet us there in the pew with an Easter basket full of enlightenment, good feelings and blessings.

This year I’ll be adding to these preparations by creating  some room in my heart, sweeping away the dust of bitterness, the litter of resentment, and dispeling the dark clouds of negativity and gloom,  so that there will be room for the fragile shoots of hope, that Easter brings to one and all.  My Lenten refections will start tomorrow right here on this blog.  Hope you’ll join me in preparing for Easter.


The pictures today are of the little gifts I painted for gifts to my family last year.  Stay tuned for what they may get this year, if I take my preparations seriously and persevere.

10 comments:

linda m said...

Can't believe that Lent starts tomorrow. Time is flying by in spite of this dreadfully long winter. Hope spring eternal. Blessings

Chatty Crone said...

I believe our life is a preparation - for our final home - HEAVEN.

betty said...

So cute what you made last year, Ma! I'm sure you will persevere and make something equally cute this year! I do look forward to your Lenten posts as we prepare for Easter. So much more goes into preparing for Christmas than Easter, but Easter, if celebrated for the right reason gives us so much more hope and promises fulfilled!

betty

jack69 said...

Love the pictures, also agree the prep is most as enjoyable as the event. To us it is the same with a trip. The getting there is a lot of the enjoyment.
Love and the best for a soon coming Spring.

TARYTERRE said...

Love the painted gifts you made for your family. Very sweet.

Carol Z said...

I think I like preparation and anticipation as much as the holiday. I need to do a better job on preparing for holidays spiritually. Thanks for the thoughtful reminder. Keep cozy!

JeanJournal said...

Yesterday at Walmsrt with my dear d and dear gd~~~~~ DIANE said Beth Have ya'll got the wrappedEaster eggs at your store yet?~~and that was my first thought of Easter~~had candy on my mind instead of JESUS~~Thanks Ma for this post today~~~waking me up!~~~EASTER IS about THE CROSS where JESUS TOOK MY PLACE~~DIED ON THE OLD RUGGED CROSS~~PAID FOR MY SINS~~when I was 16 'and the Lord spoke to to my heart!' and I knelt and prayed at the altar of Mark MacDonaald Baptist Church~~8th Ave. Rome Georgia~~~2nd Thursday night of August 1948~~~The Pastor looked at all the ones across the front waiting to testify the Lord saved them and looked at me as I was firnmst in line and my first prayer was~~~Lord! please don't let him start with me!~~~and Preacher Herman Manning looked to the other end of the line and I was last~~~the dear Lord is sooo loving and gentle and 'always' kind and good I feel like i'm the least and wish to be more a blessing to others~~~more like you Ma~~~with your special words of your blog~~~JeanJournal

JeanJournal said...

ooooops IN MY POST the word firnmst should be first just try to correct my BLUNDERS!~~~ JeanJournal

Weekend-Windup said...

time is moving so fast. Lent days are near. Your preparation for Easter looks great. That yellow starts are so bright.

Elizabeth said...

I always enjoy the preparation for holidays more than the actual day,good to know I am not the only one!