It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, March 03, 2014

Chapter 3, Page 3, Book 14


There is much pleasure to be gained
from useless knowledge.

Bertrand Russell

Just think how you can amaze your friends with knowledge of the inane!

 Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
 Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
The average secretary's left hand does 56% of the typing.
A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
There are more chickens than people in the world 
 No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
Dreamt is the only English word that ends in the letters ‘mt'
All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
Almonds are members of the peach family.
Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
There are only four words in the English language which end in 'dous' tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain.
 A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
 The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
Stewardesses is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
The pound key on your keyboard # is called an octotroph.
Table tennis balls have been known to travel off the paddle at speeds up to 160 km/hr.
Honey is the only natural food that is made without destroying any kind of life.  What about milk you say?  A cow has to eat grass to produce milk and grass is living.

I hope that this list of useless knowledge gave you a smile or two today!

Sendings lots of smiles and hugs your way!

***BIG SMILES***




Note:  the pictures today are my weekly snow report and were taken Sunday, March 2nd.

4 comments:

linda m said...

Thank you for all the useless knowledge. That is what my hubby collects in his brain - tons and tons of trivia. He can tell you about any old TV show and even sing the theme song. But ask him what I just told him 5 minutes ago and he can't. Hahaha. We always joke about all the useless (but sometimes very helpful) knowledge he stores in his brain. Must say I did learn a few things reading your blog this morning. Blessings and keep warm.

TARYTERRE said...

Love these tidbits of information. I think they are useful, for sure.

jack69 said...

I enjoyed the list. I guess many times in my life I have not been average, I think there have been times it too hours to go to sleep, instead of 7 minutes. hahahaha.

Great list. Bertrand was right.

Okay, I said it before, one last snow then SPRING!
My theory is, is I say it often enough, I must be right sometime!

Love from Florida...

betty said...

My gosh, I learned a lot in that list you had here, Ma. Imagine 32 muscles in one's ear! No wonder cats can hear really well! Thanks for sharing all that knowledge with us :)

betty