It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Chapter 3, Page 27, Book 14



If you don't like something change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.

 Maya Angelou.

Todays Focus:  Give up negativism----be positive.

Optimism comes from the Latin word optimus, meaning best, which describes how an optimistic person is always looking for the best in any situation and expecting good things to happen. 

There were times in my life where I didn’t really like the person I was becoming.  I’d wake up each morning with a feeling of dread about what the new day would bring.  I finally got tired of that feeling .  I did’t like feeling tired out and dreading every day.  I turned to reading a lot of what folks like Norman Vincent Peele and Max Lucado had to say.  They gave me a lift to each day.  I started looking looking at life through new lenses.  Instead of seeing the negative I began to look for the positive in each day.  

Grief changes us and after the death of my husband, I had people say to me…you’ve got to snap out of it.  You are not like yourself at all.  Truly there were days that I wouldn’t have made it at all, except for the fact that I had to because of my children.  I had to make a home and a life for them, they were my responsibility.  

My faith took on new meaning.  You can't change by yourself. But you can spend time with the One who is able to help. Do what you can, and let God do the rest. It really is that simple.  Sometimes you can’t do it all by yourself.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

5 comments:

linda m said...

I try to think positive every day. When I find I am having trouble I ask God for His help and guidance. I love your Lenten topics. Blessings

TARYTERRE said...

I agree with Maya. LOVE her quote. I also think a little bit of silliness helps keep things real.

jack69 said...

I know in life, from experience, that WE cannot fully understand some situations until they are experienced.

Reading someone like you helps, methinks, Someone who has lived thru the loss of a mate. I try to pay attention because Sherry and I know, unless there is an accident that takes us both one of us will be left.
BTW good entry!

Joyful Days said...

I've been catching up on the posts I've missed. What awesome words...and definitely ones I needed to hear. You are right up there with Lucado and Peele. Very grateful. (())

betty said...

I can understand why people would say for you to "snap out of it" after your husband's passing, but still I think you are right, grief does change things, especially grieving the death of your loved one and realizing the responsibility now on your shoulders. I remember my mom saying after my dad died, it took her months to really "get it together" and she was grateful for her family around to help pick up the pieces. I do agree it is good to look at ways to think positively instead of negatively and look for those resources, including and especially God, to help us.

betty