It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

CHAPTER 3, PAGE 19, BOOK 14


Forgiveness is a funny thing.  It warms the heart and cools the sting.  

William Arthur Ward

Give up bitterness----turn to forgiveness.

Ephesians 4:32 

Be kind and compassionate to one another forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.


He who forgives ends the quarrel

To forgive and forget is one of the hardest things to do.  But if we don’t forgive, we carry that burden around like a rotten sack of potatoes on our backs.  We are giving the person the privilege of upsetting us as long as we carry what ever happened in our hearts.  I don’t like things that drag me down and upset me so I’ve learned that to forgive is the better way to live.  Even if I know that what happened may have been wrong, I forgive and let go.  

It’s a lesson I learned well.  Because I knew someone that couldn’t forgive, I learned early on how important forgiveness is.  I saw first hand how it goes.  There are many that teach us lessons.  We mustn’t forget those like the single mom, who can teach us perseverance; the old man walking slowly in front of us, who can teach us patience; the child playing in the mud, who can teach us that a little dirt isn’t the end of the world.

We can also gain wisdom from others mistakes, thoughts, ideas and actions.  There are learning opportunities all around us.    We need to be open and willing to receive and act upon them.

To err is human; to forgive divine

Alexander Pope

Forgiving can raise us up to a higher state of well being. Here are two ways I’ve found to make peace with those who may have wronged you and find more peace for yourself in the process.

Whenever angry feelings about a person who's harmed you enter your mind, tell yourself: We are all good, loving souls who occasionally get lost. Pray for this person to find their way back to a happier place

When you are tempted to focus on all the ways the world has done you wrong, instead count your blessings !

Have you noticed how often I’ve mentioned counting your blessings in order to improve your life?  It seems like the best way to deal with a multitude of our problems in life.  

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.  

Oscar Wilde

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Words of wisdom, for sure.

linda m said...

These are truly "Words of Wisdom". I have a hard time forgiving and forgetting. It is a daily struggle with me as I know someone who continually hurts me. I always try to forgive, as God has always forgiven me. I know how I continually sin against God and he always forgives me, so I forgive this person. Carrying the hurt and anger around only makes me miserable not the person doing the hurting. thank you for a great post. Blessings

betty said...

I do agree Ma with counting your blessings and I am glad you mention it a lot on your blog; it is a good constant reminder for us. It is so true to forgive someone so we don't allow bitterness to set in; I can attest to that and now looking back on it, I wonder why I let it get to me as much as it did and just not forgive sooner and move on. I think we should definitely forgive, we don't necessary have to forget the wrong that was done to us and the person needs to earn back our trust, but definitely forgiving someone is the way to go!

betty

jack69 said...

You are right. Bitterness is to our soul what cancer is to a body. If not removed completely it will destroy the person.

Love from Florida we are 68 and over cast, with some sun at times...

Stay warm.