It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Chapter 2, Page 6, Book 14



What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable. 

Joseph Addison

The trifles in life can make or break you…

Trifles are those little every day things that make up our lives.  The little things we do and think about.  Some things we do are plain tedious.  Just like my shoveling snow…it is a little thing in the realm of things, but when it snows you just have to do it.  We’ll not everyone does.  My neighbors across the street just plow through it but I like the have the walks and the driveway clear so no one slips and falls or gets stuck.  

It’s often those simple things, the little things in life that count.  

The little things add up and they count.  Just as small change tossed into a jar everyday adds up.  Whether you call it joy or happiness the feeling of accomplishment is one of those little things that can give you a boost.

I’m finding joy here in mid winter…one shovel full at a time.

7 comments:

linda m said...

Sometimes I feel more satisfaction when I do the little things in life than the big things. Every day tasks are just as big an accomplishment to me as the major tasks. Blessings

jack69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack69 said...

I HOPE THIS IS THE LAST SHOVELING YOU HAVE TO DO!!
The little things, but shoveling a huge load of them really isn't one of them, that is a big job and I know you are careful, but do take care of yourself.
I thought of you and your GROWING family yesterday when I was getting the news of another marriage in our little family. You do make an impression!

I am doing my spell checking AFTER the fact. sorry.

peggy said...

If that's joy we been shovelin', then this place is hilarious. It is a joy that I have family to help with it and good neighbors too.

betty said...

I always liked to look back when I finished shoveling snow and see the accomplishment I made with clear sidewalks and driveway; always gave me a bit of a warm feeling. You are wise to keep it shoveled off as you can, Ma. It is neat to read of the joy you are finding, even in the midst of this brutal weather!

betty

Jean said...

I wouldn't know where to start shoveling snow, ha. Just raking leaves, pine straw and pine cones here. I agree with Jack please be careful. Take care, Jean.

TARYTERRE said...

I know what you mean. My husband doesn't shovel because of his COPD. So that means I have to and with my bad knees it has become quite a chore.