It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, February 28, 2014

Chapter 2, Page 28, Book 14

20 days until Spring

It is not good to be too free. It is not good to have everything one wants. 

Blaise Pascal

If we had everything we ever wanted, what would we have to hope for, what would we have to do?  I say I’m contented with what I do have and that I have everything I need, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t have some hope for some things I’d like to have.

I like to have a warm sunny spring day to enjoy

I’d like to have a nap on the porch

I’d like to have all my family together in one place at the same time.

I don’t need these things, but I would like to have them.

It’s the same with obligations.  We sometimes feel the weight of them on our shoulders.  There are plenty of things we really don’t want to do.  We’d like to be free of them.  Yet it is a good thing we have them.  They force us to do what we really don’t want to do sometimes, but what is really the best thing for us in the long run. Without a list of things to do, I’d get bored.  Thankfully I don’t think I’ve ever had one of those in my life. 



Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things, in which smiles and kindness, and small obligations given habitually, are what preserve the heart and secure comfort. 

Sir Humphrey Davy

6 comments:

linda m said...

I have everything I need, but my list of wants can be quite lengthy at times. God has given me everything I need. Praise God. Blessings

Chatty Crone said...

I think it is critical to deny oneself and feel the pain and grow. Then we do appreciate things more!

jack69 said...

I do 'like' how you separate the needs and the likes. Yes we all have them...
It is wisdom, knowing the difference!

Carol Z said...

My father had a favorite saying of Robert Burns, "If ones's reach exceeds ones grasp, then what is Heaven for?" I am grateful to have the needs. Keep warm.

TARYTERRE said...

You are so right about obligations.

betty said...

I think it is good to have obligations. While there are days I don't feel like working, I know at this season of my life I'm not ready to completely stop working so I like the obligation that I need to be there.

betty