It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 7, Book 14



The only graceful way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it. If you can't top it, laugh at it. If you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.

John Russell Lynes Jr.

It is hurtful when we are insulted.  None of us likes to think that we or anything we’ve done has caused someone to think less of us.  It isn’t easy at all to ignore those painful words.  

I do laugh at myself often over some of the silly things I’ve done.  Usually there is no one around to be a witness to them, but oh yes, I’ve done many foolish things.

But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?

Albert Camus

BrrrChill!  The cold has been very hard on me these last few days.  Even though I’ve been inside and have everything I need, it’s very hard to find harmony in this season of snow and ice.  My sunny attitude has been challenged for sure.  

In the Winter, our bodies want to slow down, our energy is a little lower, we want to sleep more, and we want warm, heartier foods.  If I get any slower, I might just as well stay in bed.  I am eating heartier and gaining weight right along with it.  

Knowing that I have lots to do inside I’ve been making an effort everyday to do one or two things and before spring arrives, I hope to have my spring cleaning done.  Then when the nicer weather returns I can get outside.  I will need the exercise and fresh air for sure. The record setting cold has made this winter a memorable one.  Some things are better forgotten.

The remarkable thing we have is a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.

Charles Swindoll

7 comments:

Hollie said...

Brrrrrrrrrr, it's cold here too!! I'm home today and actually am glad!! Stay warm!!

linda m said...

Very cold here also. You are right about feeling like you just want to stay in bed and stay warm. Gaining weight over winter has always been my downfall. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude right now and keep thinking about "warm" things. Blessings

jack69 said...

Cold in Florida, 32 is VERY cold down here. Chances of folks losing the beautiful flowers and shrubs.

Funny also you should say that we do silly things at times and are glad there is no one around to see them, DON'T WE ALL!

I don't mind a good laugh, even at my own expense...

Stay warm and enjoy hot chocolate...

Chatty Crone said...

You know what - I Feel MUCH better when I smile - I liked that!

sandie

TARYTERRE said...

It is hard to stay indoors without getting a little cabin fever.

betty said...

I liked that saying from Charles Swindoll. I don't think I'd worry if you gained a bit of weight during the winter cold, you'll probably lose it when you are outside in spring being more active!

betty

JeanJournal said...

When you're smiling the whole world smiles with you so keep on smiling ma and I will too. ( like that song ) COLD TODAY IN THE SUNNY SOUTH. temp was 10 ~ JeanJournal