It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 26, Book 14


The years teach much which the days never knew.  

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wisdom and Common Sense

Wisdom discerns truth in a situation, while common sense provides good judgment regarding what to do with the truth. Both are a gift.  Many intelligent people lack wisdom and common sense.  A combination of both are needed.

Lately any bits of wisdom that come my way are much appreciated.  I find it comforting when I find little sparks of inspiration.  A little sparkle in my life is definitely needed.  I’ve read all the articles on how to endure winter and just about the time I think I’ve got it conquered , Winter decides to conquer me.  

Nature does teach us much and I’ve learned that to stay indoors where it is warm and cozy is about the best thing I can do right now.  Joy is found in reading a good book, making a hot bowl of chili,  baking a cake and even in taking a hot bubble bath now and then.

Common sense also tells me that indoors in the winter is best.  Others may defy the cold and icy roads and keep on doing what they want day to day, but for me I’ll forgo the adventure of sliding around and freezing, I’m just happy that home is a warm place to be.   We need to be aware when the weather is very severe and use common sense.


Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it.  

Doug Larson

In the news here people are being advised to turn their thermostats back a notch or two to preserve our natural gas supplies.  This deep freeze is causing a huge drain on what we have.  We are also being warned to stay inside when possible.  Shelters have opened for those with no warm place to go.  Using wisdom and common sense we’ll all survive this bitter winter.

We’ve all heard the common sense tale of the ant as it prepares for winter.  I’ve been like that ant and have a storehouse of food for days like these.  There is no need to run out and stock up in case the weather gets bad here.  The weather is terrible, but I’ll not go hungry for sure.  The cupboards and the freezer are well stocked.  

I hope you all are using a little wisdom and common sense to get thru these bitter cold days.  Those of you that live in warmer climes are fortunate, but still these two, common sense and wisdom,  will help to make some better days ahead for you too.


God give me the serenity to accept things which cannot be changed;  Give me courage to change things which must be changed;  And the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.


Reinhold Niebuhr

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

A very nice post! I do realize that winter is very rough for people in the North and I do pray for their safety. You have the right idea to stay in out of it! We have had a very cold winter for us,I have to get out and take my Grandaughter to school at 6:45 in the mornings, it has been in the low 20's,I cannot even imagine the minus temperatures in the North.

jack69 said...

Yes we sure need wisdom and common sense. Seems there is a lack of it, I started to say now a days, but it has always been in short supply.

Yes you are wise to choose a book, many more should. And those who cannot need to realize their limitations. Great advice here showing wisdom and common sense.

Love ya, stay warm, Spring CANNOT be far down the road, can it? (smile)

JeanJournal said...

Thanks ma for your words of wisdom ~ and here in Calhoun Ga the weather has been COLD but no snow ~ I have a little dog LUCY and BELLA(my son's dog who is visiting me for awhile that are wonderful company ~ THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS FRIGHTFUL~~BUT THE FIRE IS SO DELIGHTFUL ~ and THE LORD IS OUR JOY! letting us know HE CARES! ~

betty said...

I like how you summed up wisdom and common sense, Ma, and then gave the example as it pertained to the cold. So good that you do have a warm house and don't have to go out on these bitterly cold days. We can only hope it will be an early spring!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE these words of wisdom during these cold, cold days.