It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 25, Book 14


This is a picture of a 56 Ford which was what my 1st car was, except for mine was a mint green and white color.


Happiness consists of living each day
as if were the first day of your honeymoon
and the last day of your vacation.

Leo Tolstoy

I remember well the first day of my honeymoon. Trying to be that happy everyday is something I have to put forth some effort in order remain that way.  

Can I say EXTRA effort on these cold days of arctic temps with little or no sunshine.  I am convinced that life is what we make it.  Groaning and griping about the weather is something I really don’t want to do.  When we start that pattern of thinking, there is no where left to go but down.  

So…looking on the bright side of life, I’m counting my blessings instead.  Things I’m thankful for today:


1346. for a trip to the craft store, I bought flowers just like the ones above, but not the vase
1347. My good cup of hot JAMAICA ME CRAZY, coconut flavored coffee
1348. for leftover Christmas candy, mmmm chocolate


By the time I got married I had worked for several years and had my own car.  It was a 59 chevy impala.  I’d upgraded from the original ’56 Ford that I started out with. Neither was new, both used cars and truthfully, I've never owned a new car. The chevy was one with the big wings in the back.  My DDH was fresh out of the service at the time and was able to find work right away, but that car was the only one we had.  Thankfully I could walk to work and then he could take the car to work.  No wonder that I stayed so fit and trim in those days.  Well most of the time he dropped me off in the morning and I walked home after work.  

Anyway we only had the weekend for our whirlwind honeymoon and we traveled 3 short hours up to Michigan to the Ford museum and Greenfield Village up there.  We saw every thing we could and returned back home in time for the work week.  We really didn’t have a lot of money then, and really never did, but that day meant just as much to me then as a longer and more expensive one would have.  

That’s pretty much how my life has been,  whirlwind at times, but always enjoying everything I can.  

As far as the last day of my vacation goes,  well that really hasn’t happened yet.  I’m retired and am on a permanent vacation.  Still I’m living every day with an attitude of gratitude for what I have and enjoying the good things in life.


4 comments:

jack69 said...

I love this entry MA! Love the car pictures of course, and think back to when most of us were a one car family and made it.
That is almost impossible now, most live a long way from their jobs.

I have always preferred to live close to where we worked, I hated the long commutes.
Again, a good read, and I love that by Tolstoy, right on the money!
Cool but sunshine down here.

TARYTERRE said...

Love hearing about your honeymoon to Michigan. Mine was a whirlwind too. Like the car photos.

Jean said...

I don't remember having a honeymoon when we got married, lol.
We couldn't afford one. I have enjoyed my retirement, but miss all my coworkers, some that has passed on. I live near my job around the road seem like a big walk through the woods only a jump and hop. I took my husband to work and he picked me up most times since it was late at night when I got off. Take care, jean

betty said...

So enjoyed reading this, Ma. Fun too to see wehat you had as your first car and to read of the early days of your married life. Honestly, I think the simpler the better when it comes to weddings and honeymoons. People sometimes spend more on them and more time planning them than planning what happens after getting married.

betty