It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, January 24, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 24, Book 14


Give your best to life every chance you get. And what you’ll get in return is a life that’s rich and full and increasingly satisfying.

Ralph Marston


THERE is a story I read that told about a woman in England who answered her door during a heavy rainstorm. 


A wet, rain soaked lady stood outside in the downpour and said, Pardon me, Madam.  The wind and rain have completely done me in and I forgot to take an umbrella.  I was wondering if I might borrow one... I'll return it of course tomorrow.

NOW who is this stranger who stands and asks me for an umbrella? the lady of the house thought. How do I know she'll bring it back?"  The lady of the house then reached for an older umbrella behind the door with broken spines.  She thought,  Even if this person doesn't return it, I wouldn't have lost much.  So she hands it to the stranger, feeling proud of her clever decision.  

The next day a fine carriage approached the house and stopped in front. A footman came up to the door and politely knocked. Pardon madam. The QUEEN wishes to express her thanks for your kindness of yesterday, he said as he handed her the borrowed umbrella.

OH, she thought. Here was the Queen, and I gave her less than the best I had.


I’ve found that when we give our very best, we get the best results.  Sometimes  it’s the best excuses not the best efforts we see.  People can excuse most anything, but they don’t always do what is expected.  What is expected of us is our best in what ever it is we do. 


The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle. 

Author Unknown 

Another little story to share…

IMAGINE a friend you gave a very expensive gift to for a birthday gift.  That person may take it and forgot to thank you for it, running off to enjoy it, never acknowledging its worth or value.  Week after week you see this friend fully enjoying the gift, and even hearing great comments made to others about it, but never once giving credit to you for thinking of it, or spending time and money to obtain it.  Only if something goes wrong or breaks do you hear about it at all.

Over and over again,  I’ve learned is how important it is to say thank you.  If I’ve forgotten to say I’m thankful for something, I’m sorry.  Thank you’s are tops on my to do list.


Life is like a mirror, we get the best results when we smile at it. 

Author Unknown 


We do all want the best results for our efforts.  Trying but failing isn’t really bad, after all we did try.  Trying to do your best with good intentions is not a waste of time at all.  Giving our best doesn’t make us perfect, it gives us JOY.


5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE the story about the Queen. Gratitude is something in short supply these days.

linda m said...

Love the story about the Queen. God tells us that we should always give 100% and He will reward us 2 fold. Have a great weekend. Blessings

jack69 said...

What a great entry. Lifted my spirits let me tell you! There is something inside that smiles when I do my BEST!
Some of the best thoughts here, I loved the quote about the mirror. The stories? Love 'em.

GREAT READ today.(smile) Bet it is cold outside up there, it is even COOL down here. BUT it will WARM UP!

Jean said...

Love these stories. When my grandson was here Christmas he and his wife and baby went to Wal-Mart's it was raining hard when they came out a lady going in had a real nice umbrella and she handed it to them and said, here you need this. He said he drove back to the front to give it back to her, but she wasn't there. They left it here when they went back home. They are some great people in this world and she was one of them. Take care and stay warm it's still cold down here.

betty said...

Good moral to learn in the story about the queen and the umbrella. Always should try to give our best if we can. And gratidue and thankfulness and saying thanks is always something we should strive for indeed!

betty