It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 22, Book 14


How lovely yellow is! It stands for the sun. 

Vincent van Gogh

Amongst the many things I read each day I found this little gem of information to share with you all today.  Did you know that the color yellow stimulates memory. If you want to remember something write it down on yellow paper. Yellow also raises blood pressure and increases the pulse rate, but far less than red does. Yellow has the same energizing effect as a day in the sunshine. It can help relieve depression.

I wonder if the folks that developed those yellow sticky notes knew about this information and that is why they were yellow?  I’ve used a lot of them over the years.  Now not so much as I have a little sticky note application on my computer and there is where I now keep my reminders and such.  Sticky notes do come in other colors but my favorite has always been yellow.  

So I did a little search on Yellow and this is what I found…

Yellow is the most highly visible of all colors which is why it is used for pedestrian crossings. Take note of the crossings which are marked in white - they are less easy to see than those marked yellow, particularly on wet and cloudy days.

Traditionally, yellow ribbons were worn as a sign of hope as women waited for their men to come home from war. Today, yellow ribbons are still used to welcome homes loved ones


Sometimes silence is not golden -- just yellow.

Author Unknown


Lurking in the background is the dark side of yellow: cowardice, betrayal, egoism, and madness. Furthermore, yellow is the color of caution and physical illness such as jaundice, malaria, and pestilence

When overused, yellow may have a disturbing effect; it is known that babies cry more in yellow rooms. Yellow is seen before other colors when placed against black; this combination is often used to issue a warning. 


A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows.

St. Francis of Assisi

Today as every day I always try to look on the bright side of things so I’m choosing to remember the color yellow at it’s best.  Yellow is the color of sunshine, hope, and happiness.  Pure, bright and sunny yellow is the easiest color to see. People who are blind to other colors can usually see yellow. Yellow is full of creative and intellectual energy. Always use yellow note pads.

Yellow symbolizes wisdom. Yellow means joy and happiness. Yellow daffodils are a symbol of unrequited love.  It’s the color of happiness, and optimism, of enlightenment and creativity, sunshine and spring.



It is the color closest to light. In its utmost purity it always implies the nature of brightness and has a cheerful, serene, gently stimulating character. Hence, experience teaches us that yellow makes a thoroughly warm and comforting impression. With yellow the eye rejoices, the heart expands, the spirit is cheered and we immediately feel warmed. Many people feel an inclination to laugh when looking through a yellow glass.

Johann von Goethe, Theory of Colors

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

As cold as it is here, I could use a little yellow sunshine in my life today.

linda m said...

Wow, You really taught me a lot this morning about the color yellow. Now I know why I always felt so cheerful when I would wear a yellow dress or shirt. Thank you for "brightening" my day. Blessings

jack69 said...

You done good! I like the color entry. One of our grand daughters first words and color learned. 'Ellow' and point to the yellow flower.
SWEET (When she graduated from high school, he dad got her a yellow VW.
Yellow is her color and her smile reflects it.
You can start some memories lady!

betty said...

I learned a lot about yellow today, Ma. How interesting with the memory!! Makes me want to get a lot of yellow things around here :)

betty