It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, January 20, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 20, Book 14


In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use.

2 Timothy 2:20-21

I came across this verse in my daily devotionals recently and thought about how I love my wooden utensils.  The ones I use every day.  There is much JOY to be found in our every day lives too.

We don’t need special occasions where we use the gold and silver, every day is a JOY in itself.

Joy doesn't only live in the major moments. Joy lives in the seemingly little things, in our day to day lives.  I think we need to be faithful in little we have and thankful too with overflowing joy for what we have in the moment. It is the somewhat radical willingness to find contentment with things as they are.

It is not about inventing a feeling that isn’t there. Rather, the problem is that joy is all around us, but we fail to notice it. Joy is not something we can choose just once. We have to choose it again and again, every day. 

There are 2 things I've learned about my woolens spoons.
1.  You have to oil them occasionally so they don't dry out
2.  If you lay a wooden spoon across a boiling pot, your pot will never boil over.


Make Me a Spoon

Did you ever compare your Christian service to silverware? All Silverware is made to serve, but the difference pieces serve in different ways.

Forks Stab. This is mine, they say. Bits of meat, carrots, pickles, salad, and cheese. This, this and this are mine. says the fork.  Everything for me, me, me, And soon every last morsel on the plate has been pinned by the spear of the selfish fork.

Knives Cut. Too big, says the knife. Slice. Cut. Chop. Dice. Everything must change its shape to satisfy the whim of the knife. Nothing is right as it is. Everything needs paring down, carving or separating.

Spoons Serve. Cereal, soup, peas -- all the impossible foods can be handles comfortably from the smooth bowl of the spoon. Spoons say, Here, let me help you. We can manage together.

MAKE ME A SPOON, LORD!

Author Unknown

5 comments:

linda m said...

I love my wooden spoons and use them all the time. I do try to find Joy and contentment in my everyday life. I rarely wish for things I don't have or places I've never been. Blessings

jack69 said...

I too, like the wooden spoon. Like this unique entry MA. YOu mention a verse that has so far eluded me. It is the little jewels that mean so much, like a treasure.
THANKS, and you are a spoon for sure...
(smile)

jack69 said...

I thought I would come back for a moment. I was reading your comment on the Shipslog and Sherry looked across the table and asked, "Have youread MA yet? This is good."
Sherry never comments, I just wanted you to know she reads it regularly, and enjoys it. You two are a lot a like.(smile)

TARYTERRE said...

You are so right about JOY being all around us, but us not really seeing it.

betty said...

I liked that make me a spoon; I think I want to be one too. I didn't know wooden spoons would prevent water from over boiling. I need to do that for sure; thanks for the tip!

Wise in your saying that Joy is all around us; we do need to keep our hearts sensitive to it.

betty