It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Friday, January 17, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 17, Book 14


The things you push away the hardest when you’re young,
you end up embracing when you get older.

Rosanne Cash

I remember a time in my youth that I thought wearing boots in the winter was totally uncool.  We would leave the house to walk to school all bundled up and with our boots on winter mornings.  One warmer day when the sidewalks were clear, I decided to take those boots off and walk to school with only my shoes on. Your feet feel so much lighter without boots on.   I thought mother would never know.  Well as it turned out there were puddles along the way where the ice and snow had melted and I splashed up my clean white socks with black yucky stuff and then had to explain just how that came to be.

Mom’s always find out and the truth hurts sometimes.

Now you just have to believe I love my boots.  I have several pairs of them and I do wear them in the winter.  I wouldn’t even consider going out side without them.  They keep my feet warm and dry.  I do love my boots and wear them outside all winter.

I’m sure there were many other things that in my youth, I’d push away.  Thankfully I’ve grown a little wiser with age.  The trials of youth do teach many lessons.  If only I’d been wise enough to listen to those who’d already learned those wise ways.

In our youth we think we are never going to be old.  The days go on and so do we until all of the sudden we are old and wonder just how that came to be.  The old and very wise saying about stopping to smell the roses is so very true.  If we don’t take the time to appreciate and value each day it will be gone before we know it and won’t return again.

 It is easy for any of us to get so immersed in what we are doing that we fail to see the joys and blessings of life all around us. We need more than ever to notice, cherish and enjoy these moments



GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,  
  Old Time is still a-flying:  
And this same flower that smiles to-day  
To-morrow will be dying.  

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
  The higher he 's a-getting,  
The sooner will his race be run,  
  And nearer he 's to setting.  
That age is best which is the first,  
  When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.  
Then be not coy, but use your time,  
  And while ye may, go marry:  
For having lost but once your prime,
  You may for ever tarry.

Robert Herrick

5 comments:

linda m said...

It is amazing the things we do differently from when we were children. Wouldn't dream of bundling up as a kid, now you should see me. I could go on forever about how I have changed - for the better I hope. thanks for reminding me how I have "grown" up. Blessings

jack69 said...

Amazing how smart our mom's were. Stopped by to say Life is good. Enjoying my BD.
Good read as always. My sons learned mama knows.
Love from Florida..

TARYTERRE said...

I love the poem by Robert Herrick. It is lovely.

Carol Z said...

So true. I grew up in Connecticut and I fought with my mother about wearing boots and wearing socks. I thought loafers and no socks was just the thing. Fast forward fifty years and I sound just like my mother. Isn't time amazing!

betty said...

It is true how our moms seemed to catch when we were trying to get out of doing something they wanted us to do. Its funny here how the kids wear boots almost all year long. So true too how fast we seem to grow old :)

betty