It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Chapter 1, Page 1, Book 14

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind but now I see.

Amazing Grace is a hymn with words written by the English poet and clergyman John Newton (1725–1807), published in 1779. With the message that forgiveness and redemption are possible regardless of sins committed and that the soul can be delivered from despair through the mercy of God, Amazing Grace is one of the most recognizable songs in the English-speaking world.

Amazing Grace was written to illustrate a sermon on New Year's Day of 1773. It is unknown if there was any music accompanying the verses; it may have simply been chanted by the congregation.  It has been associated with more than 20 melodies, but in 1835 it was joined to a tune named New Britain to which it is most frequently sung today.

Singing Amazing Grace is  a great way to start of the New Year.  Making New Year resolutions is another.  For years I’ve always said that I like to make my resolutions daily and not just on New Year Day.  But I’m rethinking that just a little.  Today I vow to keep my sense of JOY with me as I move through the year ahead.

Today I'm enjoying the beauty of the moment and making wish lists for new goals and things I’d like to achieve in 2014. By rejoicing in each new day, I can carry the beauty of life with me wherever I go, whatever I do.

Life offers me unlimited opportunities to celebrate at every turn and I want to embrace all of life with anticipation, zeal, and enthusiasm.

We will open the book.  Its pages are blank.  We are going to put words on them ourselves.  The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.  

Edith Lovejoy Pierce

My one word for 2014 is JOY.  

Remember every day may not be a good one, but there is some good in every day!  Today, the first day of the year, the first day of the rest of your life,

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.

T.S. Eliot

8 comments:

jack69 said...

I love Amazing Grace. Your choice of JOY is good. Sending love your eay from Florida. Rainy here and time to move. See you down the road.
For the last time this year HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!

linda m said...

What a beautiful way to start the new year. My "resolution" for the New Year was to try to be a better person and to try to strengthen my faith in God. Happy New Year.

~mel said...

Beautiful entry. Happy New Year and may all your days be filled with love and JOY!

betty said...

Joy is a great word for 2014 and beyond, Ma! Somehow I know you will live each day trying to have that joy and getting that joy in 2014! Love Amazing Grace; even today its words are still so beautiful!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Carol Z said...

Joy was my word for 2013 and "give" is my word for 2014. What a thought...1/1/14. Wishes for much joy in this new year.

Back Porch Writer said...

Happy New Year! Hope your meal with family was great and that everyone was able to get there.

Chatty Crone said...

I am so behind here.
I love Amazing Grace - my favorite song.
I am wishing you a wonderful new year. sandie