It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 21, Book 13


I'll have a blue Christmas without you;
I'll be so blue thinking about you.
Decorations of red 
On a green Christmas tree
Won't mean a thing
If you're not here with me.
 
And when the blue snowflakes start falling
That's when those blue memories start calling
You'll be doing alright with your Christmas of white,
But I'll have a blue blue Christmas.


I'll have a blue Christmas, that's certain;
And when that blue heartache starts hurting,
You'll be doing all right
With your Christmas of white,
But I'll have a blue, blue Christmas.

Blue Christmas is a Christmas song written by Billy Hayes and Jay W. Johnson. It is a tale of unrequited love during the holidays and is a longstanding staple of Christmas music.  Most sad Christmas songs center around being away from a loved one, but this classic is the best of that theme. Though the happiness of Christmas is around him, he is blue, and there is nothing he can do about it

It seems to me that no matter what there are times that we all feel a little blue this time of year.  Maybe we have family that won’t make it home or maybe someone we love is sick  or maybe the frustrations of so much to do are just getting us down.

Hectic activity can bring physical and emotional stress.  Overspending can produce financial pressure.  Year end reflection and focus on loss can magnify sorrow.

Every family, every individual at some point or other, faces heart break and hardship. And while it can sometimes seem easier to sweep that all under the rug, I think we do a disservice to our families and ourselves when we pretend that everything is fine and we ignore that pain. No amount of tinsel and good cheer will cover it up.

So this year, instead of ignoring it, I’m going to try to face all aspects of the holidays head on. If I’m going to celebrate Christmas, let it include the good as well as the bad. Let us acknowledge the sad, lonely, and stressed in our midst and make room for that pain, as well as for hope. After all, isn’t that what the first Christmas was about?  All the messiness of our past and present: all the joy, hope, and peace, but also all the pain, sorrow, and tragedy.

On this first day of winter, the darkest day of the year, we have hopes now that each day will be a little brighter, the days will lengthen minute by minute and we have hope that on the other side of even the darkest night, dawn will come. 

We are told that, We are the Light of the World!  When we do our part to be a source of light we diminish the effects of the darkness.  Between getting ready in the morning for the day and getting ready at night for sleep, we live our lives. Much of that time is spent preparing for the hours to come. Be a light shining in the darkness.



I am not alone at all, I thought. I was never alone at all. And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent. For this is still the time God chooses.

Taylor Caldwell

8 comments:

linda m said...

I will be having a "Blue Christmas" this year. For the past few years I have been spending Christmas with my son and his family in GA. This year at first we decided not to visit then as the pat couple of years the weather has been terrible (we drive). Then we had an unexpected move that came up. So here hubby and I sit all alone and missing the family. Merry Christmas to you. Blessings

Carol Z said...

I've got less to do without all the office gifts and events and it's making a much nicer time of year. I'm trying to enjoy the activities I do have and savor the moments. Happy and healthy!

Chatty Crone said...

So Pam - what are you going to do for Christmas - are you going out or having the family there? Sandie

TARYTERRE said...

I really am enjoying hearing about the songs. Blue Christmas is one of my favorites.

Jean said...

I love the song Blue Christmas and was trying to sing along,but I can't carry a tune. ha, the first day of winter here feel like the first day of summer. It's a warm day. My Children will be on their way here tomorrow, if you will, keep them in your prayers. They all have a long drive to get here. Take care and a Merry, Merry Christmas to you.

jack69 said...

You are right about a little 'blue' time. I see on my screen saver some of the sweetest folk I have ever known, and they have passed this way their one time.
I take a little time to stop and think how I miss them. Many of our best memories are around Christmas time. Yep some blue ones.
But a good honest entry. As always, you say the right things.
MERRY CHRISTMAS....

JeanJournal said...

((( had 2 sweet SURPRISE visistors today (my sister's 2 sons came and visited for several hours(Their mom died of cancer when they were just barely grown. Their dad died a few years later. Now or I should say today...we need to share our memories with all who are alone because of loved ones GONE...Ray and Jerry made my day HAPPY! and it was like having Ruth with me for awhile. I HOPE WE ALL tell the blues to SCOOT! ~~JeanJournal

betty said...

I like your attitude of facing all aspects of Christmas, Ma, even the sadness, loneliness, etc. I think even in the midst of it all, like you said, there is always hope! And I'm glad for the source of our hope being Jesus :)

betty