It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 19, Book 13



The snow is snowing, the wind is blowing
But I can weather the storm!
What do I care how much it may storm?
I've got my love to keep me warm.
I can't remember a worse December
Just watch those icicles form!
What do I care if icicles form?
I've got my love to keep me warm.

Off with my overcoat, off with my glove
I need no overcoat, I'm burning with love!
My heart's on fire, the flame grows higher
So I will weather the storm!
What do I care how much it may storm?
I've got my love to keep me warm.

I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm is a Christmas song written in 1937 by Irving Berlin.



If it weren’t for the love of family and friends winters here in northern Ohio would be pretty cold and drear.  I’ve got to say the warmth of those I love is especially needed this time of year. I am thankful for each and every one and am appreciative to all.

If you don’t already know I’ve lived by myself now for a long time.  My husband died over 20 years ago and although I have a large family, they are all grown and married and have families of their own.  I do feel compassion for those that are alone and don’t have the glow of happiness that family and friends can bring.  

Feeling warm and wrapped in love is the best feeling in the world.  So maybe we could all remember to warm the hearts of others this time of year.

8 comments:

linda m said...

Love of family and friends is what keeps me warm in winter - I live in WI. Don't know what I would do without them. Blessings

jack69 said...

Thank you very much. I don't think I have ever READ the words to that song. How sweet is the words.
Again, Nice narrative added.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Chatty Crone said...

I haven't read those words in a long time either. You know what Pam - I have never ever been alone.

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Lovely reflection! Family is especially important during holiday time. I have special feelings for those who have lost close family members during the past year--those first holiday times are always so hard. I don't have "family" family any longer (strange since I'm the oldest!) but I'm gifted to belong to a wonderful religious community--family in a different way.

TARYTERRE said...

Family is important during the holidays. Mine is scattered to the wind from Alaska, California to the east coast so we don't get to be together. Holidays here can get lonely.

Carol Z said...

I don't have a lot of family, but I am blessed to have dear friends to keep me warm. Sending warmth and light across the miles!

betty said...

I had not read/heard of those words of Irving Berlin, Ma, I do like the sentiment of it. I often wonder about people that have outlived their families and are all alone how they must feel. So glad you do have a great family and friends to bring you warmth on the cold winter days!

betty

JeanJournal said...

I had never been alone until now...and I get lonely but have sweet neighbors, but family is family AND the old ways are gone. We must find HAPPINESS living alone or get sick...and we must REALLY BELIEVE GOD'S HOLY WORD...ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD!!! ~ JeanJournal