It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, December 16, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 16, Book 13



Angels we have heard on high
Sweetly singing o’er the plains
And the mountains in reply
Echoing their joyous strains

CHORUS:
Gloria, in excelsis Deo!
Gloria, in excelsis Deo!

Shepherds, why this jubilee?
Why your joyous strains prolong?
What the gladsome tidings be
Which inspire your heavenly song?

Chorus

Come to Bethlehem and see
Him Whose birth the angels sing;
Come, adore on bended knee,
Christ the Lord, the newborn King.

Chorus

See Him in a manger laid
Jesus Lord of heaven and earth;
Mary, Joseph, lend your aid,
With us sing our Savior's birth.

Gloria, in excelsis Deo!
Gloria, in excelsis Deo!

Words: Tra­di­tion­al French carol; trans­lat­ed from French to Eng­lish by James Chad­wick in Crown of Je­sus, 1862.

Music: French car­ol mel­o­dy; ar­ranged by Ed­win S. Barnes 

Angels We Have Heard on High  is a Christmas carol in the public domain. The song commemorates the story of the birth of Jesus Christ found in the Gospel of Luke, in which shepherds outside Bethlehem encounter a multitude of angels singing and praising the newborn child.

To me this is a very happy song and one that gets me nearly dancing when I hear it or sing it.

We are so near now to the end of Advent.  All the Christmas preparations are almost done with and very soon Christmas Day will be here to celebrate in all its glory.  A happy time indeed.  

During the past 3 weeks I surely have had my time of being patient and waiting and lots of work too.  I’m happy to say so far I’m making progress.  Progress on my gift making and also on the spiritual realm.  Every day has brought a new thought and insight to what depth and beauty there is in Christmas.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.  I can almost see it now.


The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.

Henry David Thoreau

8 comments:

linda m said...

This is one of my favorite carols. I used to "belt" it out better than any one else in my choir. Blessings

Chatty Crone said...

That is one of my favorites too - I love Christmas. sandie

jack69 said...

I am enjoying the memories of Christmas songs and their history. THANKS.

Yeah, that is the light, the one at the end of the tunnel.
Nice to get the first glimpse....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!.

Rose said...

I love Christmas!

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE the Henry David Thoreau quote.


Carol Z said...

I am enjoying reading about the Christmas music. Hope you're having a warm and cozy evening.

betty said...

Another very pretty Christmas carol! Glad you are seeing light at the end of the tunnel, Ma! And in a few days after the first day of winter, we'll start seeing a bit more light in the sky, before long spring!

betty

linda m said...

One of my favorite carols. But then again I love Christmas songs. Blessings