It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 15, Book 13



While shepherds watched their flocks by night, 
all seated on the ground; 
the angel of the Lord came down, 
and glory shone around, 
and glory shone around. 

Fear not, said he, for mighty dread 
had seized their troubled mind. 
Glad tidings of great joy I bring 
to all of humankind, 
to all of humankind.

To you, in David's town, this day 
is born of David's line 
a Savior, who is Christ the Lord, 
and this shall be the sign,
and this shall be the sign:

The heavenly babe you there shall find 
to human view displayed, 
all meanly wrapped in swathing bands, 
and in a manger laid, 
and in a manger laid.

Thus spake the seraph and forthwith 
appeared a shining throng 
of angels praising God on high, 
who thus addressed their song, 
who thus addressed their song: 

All glory be to God on high, 
and to the earth be peace; 
good will henceforth from heaven to earth 
begin and never cease, 
begin and never cease!

Text: Nahum Tate, 1652-1715 
Music: Harmonia Sacra; arr. from G.F. Handel 

This hymn captures the story of shepherds who received the good news of the Savior's birth on the very first Christmas night. 

This is an old hymn and I remember well singing it as a child.  Thankfully I was always a member of a choir when growing up and learned a good many songs that I wouldn’t have otherwise known. 

I don’t remember my folks singing, but between church and school it seems like music was always a part of my life.  I always loved to sing. These days I don’t carry a tune so well and no longer sing in a choir, but have some great memories of doing so.

There is a lot of joy to be found in music and it is part of my preparation for Christmas.  The time we get to sing these wonderful songs seems so short and there are so many to enjoy.

May we  experience the joy of the shepherds every day.  While every day may not be good, there is something good in every day.

6 comments:

linda m said...

I am a huge music lover. It was always a part of my life - don't play an instrument but was always in choir. I still sing along with the radio or cd.
Blessings

jack69 said...

You are right, music is a GREAT part of Christmas. I always loved to sing, was never very good but now taht I don't hear cannot tell if I am on key or not. so I try not to sing loud. hahahaha.

I know they missed you at church this AM.

TARYTERRE said...

I can't imagine a world without music.

Chatty Crone said...

I make it 4! Music is a gift from God. What would we do without it Pam?

betty said...

Love music too; especially the songs of Christmas time!

betty

JeanJournal said...

I love to go around singing as I'm washing the dishes, making the bed, cooking something or just walking outside,,,at Kathy's house one day she thought I was going around in the yard TALKING TO MYSELF KIDS! ~~JeanJournal