It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 14, Book 13


Here we come a wassailing
Among the leaves so green,
Here we come a wand'ring
So fair to be seen.
Love and joy come to you,
And to you your wassail, too,
And God bless you, and send you
A Happy New Year,
And God send you a Happy New Year

Here We Come A Caroling was originally titled Here We Come A Wassailing and is still called by that name by some. The song was composed in the 1850s and is still very popular at Christmas time.

Wassailing was a termed used to denote the act of caroling door to door and wishing good health to each listener, instead of begging for alms.

This aged English wassail carol is a peaceful gesture English people practiced to allow good tidings to spread across every single home in the community.

Carolers are something we don’t see much of anymore, but I can remember the time that they used to go through our neighborhood, stopping at each house and sharing a song or two.  There were also times that I went out too with youth groups from church or scout groups caroling.  I treasure the many memories made while going caroling to those who hadn’t had any Christmas joy for a very long time.  The eyes of the old folks in the nursing homes would always twinkle a little brighter when they heard the children sing.  

The thing we should remember is that folks need some glad tidings not just on Christmas Day but all through out the year.  Caroling is good, but being a good neighbor all year long is better.

7 comments:

linda m said...

There is nothing better than a good neighbor. That is something I have always strived to be. So far I have been blessed with good neighbors. Blessings

jack69 said...

I love caroling. It is a passing practice I think. Thanks for the education also, I do not ever remember hearing the word Wassailing. If I did it has slipped my mind completely.

Very good post also. Thankis..

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT insight on the song.

Pat MacKenzie said...

How right you are. Somehow it just seems easier to spread cheer and good wishes at Christmas.

It's too bad there aren't many door to door car rollers any more.

betty said...

I do remember going caroling, Ma, and you are right, I'm not sure I've seen/heard of them recently. And always good to be a good neighbor all through the year, I fear sometimes we aren't the best when Koda decides to bark :)

hope you had a nice Saturday!

betty

Jean said...

I remember our preacher's brother taking us all out to sing carols on Christmas eve night. He had a van with a loud speaker and it was so much fun.

JeanJournal said...

SINGING Christmas carols to the older people in nursing homes by school children is wonderful, I think~~~but a little dangerous these days~~~to go where you don't know the people~~~In the past, I've been caroling with a church group to the elderly in our church, but they wanted us to come. STAY WARM and cozy all winter...and safe. JeanJournal