It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 12, Book 13


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 
Ev'rywhere you go; 
Take a look in the five-and-ten, 
Glistening once again 
With candy canes and silver lanes aglow. 

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, 
Toys in ev'ry store, 
But the prettiest sight to see 
Is the holly that will be
On your own front door. 

A pair of hopalong boots and a pistol that shoots 
Is the wish of Barney and Ben; 
Dolls that will talk and will go for a walk 
Is the hope of Janice and Jen; 
And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 
Ev'rywhere you go; 
There's a tree in the Grand Hotel, 
One in the park as well,
The sturdy kind that doesn't mind the snow. 

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas; 
Soon the bells will start, 
And the thing that will make them ring 
Is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart.

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas is a classic Christmas song written in 1951 by Meredith Willson.  

Yes, it is looking a lot like Christmas here.  By this second week of Advent lots of people are finished with decorating their homes inside and out and the package wrapping has begun

I do remember shopping at the old 5 and 10 stores.  You could truly find most anything you wanted in them.  As I was shopping recently I was disappointed in the selection of Christmas decorations being offered and remembered how in days past there were always unusual and beautiful things readily available in the five and 10.  

I’m thinking that for people that have a great collection of ornaments and decorations it’s a good thing as you just can’t find those unique ornaments like you used to be able too. Thankfully I have lots of them here at my house, but they are only things and really mean little when you consider what is truly important.  It's the loved ones in my life that really count.

As the days move quickly along to Christmas keep the Reason for the Season in mind.

Hope it is starting to look like Christmas every where you go!

7 comments:

jack69 said...

On our first trip to Nova Scotia via ferry, we took a tour and were pleasantly suprised to hear the guide say: Meredith Willson was on that balcony, when the words to "It's beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" was penned.
What a sweet entry. THANKS for jogging an old memory.
Love Sherry & Jack in Orlando.
Nice day here in the upper 60's.

betty said...

I always liked that song, Ma, especially driving through the city at night and seeing everyone's lights and decorations. I do remember shopping and 5 and 10 stores, they were unique in their offerings and loved the prices. Definitely am glad for the reminder of the reason for the season with Jesus!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE that song. And yes I remember the old Five and Dime stores. So much fun to explore.

Jean said...

I love that song and tried to sing it, but I can't carry a tune, lol. I bought a few more packs of ornaments to go my tree. I have two more storage boxes of older ones in the loft of the shed I couldn't reach them to get them down. That's what getting older will do to you, ha. Take care, Jean

JeanJournal said...

I remember that my FIRST JOB was in S H KRESS 5 AND DIME STORE~~~and those OLD TIMEY REGISTERS! (realy had to stretch your fingers)~~~I was in ROME GA HIGH SCHOOL, and took a class (DE)~~~where you had 4 classes and left at lunch time to work several hours in the afternoon~~~I LOVED IT! (Ma, this posting brought me sweet memories~~~I think the secret of old age is PLANNING on having a happy day!!!!!!! AND IF plans go wrong BE HAPPY IN~~~~~~~ WHATEVER!!!!!!! WE ARE STILL HERE! ~ Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun ( JeanJournal )

Carol Z said...

I really enjoyed Grant's, Newberry's and Woolworth's and remember how much I could do with a dollar in any of those stores. What fun memories!
Keep cozy!

Rose said...

I love that song!

Unfortunately, it does not look like Christmas in Florida! However, Floridians try real hard decorating their homes to get in the spirit.

I miss all those great Dime Stores