It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 11, Book 13



Lo, how a Rose e’er blooming from tender stem hath sprung!

Of Jesse’s lineage coming, as men of old have sung.
It came, a floweret bright, amid the cold of winter,
When half spent was the night.

Isaiah ’twas foretold it, the Rose I have in mind;
With Mary we behold it, the virgin mother kind.
To show God’s love aright, she bore to men a Savior,
When half spent was the night.

The shepherds heard the story proclaimed by angels bright,
How Christ, the Lord of glory was born on earth this night.
To Bethlehem they sped and in the manger found Him,
As angel heralds said.

This Flower, whose fragrance tender with sweetness fills the air,
Dispels with glorious splendor the darkness everywhere;
True Man, yet very God, from sin and death He saves us,
And lightens every load.

O Savior, Child of Mary, who felt our human woe,
O Savior, King of glory, who dost our weakness know;
Bring us at length we pray, to the bright courts of Heaven,
And to the endless day!


Words: 15th Cen­tu­ry car­ol ); vers­es 1-2 trans­lat­ed from Ger­man to Eng­lish by The­o­dore Bak­er, 1894. Verses 3-4, Fried­rich Lay­ritz, trans­lat­ed by Har­ri­et Rey­nolds Krauth, 1875. Verse 5, trans­lat­ed or writ­ten by John C. Mat­tes, 1914.

Did you know that this hymn was sung in the Academy Award winning movie Love Story?  It's been a long time since I watched that movie and now I may just have to watch it again.  Love is indeed one of the gifts of Advent.  We are preparing for Christmas, the greatest Love story every told.  

As we wrap up the gifts of Christmas for this year, we can't help but mention God's love.  We all need love and we all give love.  This season I’m trying to focus on sharing that love with others.   Love is a circle that goes on and on and on.  It’s a perfect time for giving hugs and smiles, for showing kindness to others.  I believe that what we give does come back to us.  

Remember: 

 Love means never having to say you're sorry   


5 comments:

betty said...

I too will have to go back and watch Love Story because I don't remember this song being sung there. I think the world would be such a dark place without love, especially without the love of Jesus!

betty

jack69 said...

Quote:
This season I’m trying to focus on sharing that love with others.
Unquote.
Me thinks you are doing a great job. And like Betty, I reckon we need to review Love Story!!!

78 here in Central Florida, Sunshine. We seldom celebrate Christmas with the traditional cool weather any more.

TARYTERRE said...

I did not know that this hymn was sung in the movie Love Story? Nor have I heard it before.

Mary Ann said...

MA, I've been trying to catch up on blog reading tonight and was just about to turn the computer off... when I saw the title of this post. This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONG. All time.
I love it in German and in English. I have two versions on my Ipod list (and an Ipod that doesn't work) so I can listen to it on the computer.

linda m said...

Thank you for displaying the wards to that beautiful song. I was never quite sure what all of the words were. Right now the way this world is headed I think we all need a little more love and especially God's Love. Blessings