It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Chapter 12, Page 10, Book 13



O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree!
How are thy leaves so verdant!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How are thy leaves so verdant!

Not only in the summertime,
But even in winter is thy prime.

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree
How are thy leaves so verdant!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure doth thou bring me!

Christmas Carol, O Tannenbaum 


O Christmas Tree is a traditional German Carol.  The author of the lyrics are unknown.

I make it easy for myself these days and don’t put up and decorate a large tree anymore at Christmas.  I have several little decorated and lighted trees that I set out on table tops though out the house though.  One of my favorite things about a real live pine tree for Christmas is the divine smell they give out and I surely do miss that.  I found a nice large pine scented candle though and try to keep it burning so it smells like I have a real tree here in the house.  

The legend of the Christmas tree has several interesting stories that have been passed down through the centuries.

At the moment of the birth of Christ, one myth says that every tree bore perfect fruit to bear tribute and honor to the Lord except the lowly fir tree. This tree was ashamed of his stature until the Lord approached him and caused him  to sparkle with light.

Another enchanting tale holds that a poor family generously took in a needy child near Christmas. This child was in fact the Christ Child. To repay this family for their kindness the child created a small lit fir tree outside the home to light the way for other weary travelers in need of blessing.

He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree 

 Roy L. Smith .


5 comments:

linda m said...

I also don't put up a huge tree anymore. I have a little table size one and I put a tiny Nativity scene under the tree. Christmas means more to me than decorations and presents - it is a birthday celebration for Christ. Hallelujah! Love the story behind the song. Blessings

Chatty Crone said...

Well I agree - I don't want to put up a big tree - but I still have a youngin here!

jack69 said...

Yes, YES, the smell of cedar and Pine in the house at Christmas is a sweet memory here also. Ceramic tree will do, I like the quote in the end. If not in the heart, it willnot be under the tree. Love it. Never read or heard it but it makes sense.

TARYTERRE said...

Love the history of the Christmas Tree and song. LOVELY sentiment in that last quote.

betty said...

I always would be humming that song "O Christmas Tree" when we were putting up our Christmas trees when the kids were younger. I do agree with you, Ma, not having a live Christmas tree, we don't get that pine smell that is so enjoyable. Good for you for thinking of a candle with that scent to burn this time of year.

betty