It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, November 18, 2013

Chapter 11, Page 18, Book 13



For rest and shelter of the night, For health and food, for love and friends, For everything Thy goodness sends. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

As winter is fast approaching, I thought it might be a good thing to give thanks for my home.  It is truly a shelter from the storms.  I shudder to think about those that don’t have a warm place to live.  It is  and always has been my privilege to have a nice warm home in the winter.  I’ve always been quite spoiled in that respect.  

I do remember visiting my grandparents on the farm during the winter.  There wasn’t any central heating there at all.  My mom would take the blankets off the bed and warm them up by the fireplace before we’d go to bed.  It was nice to snuggle under the covers on a cold night.  My grand mother also had some feather comforters that kept us warm but it would be cold when you’d get out of bed. 

Lately I’ve been doing a lot of reading about the early pioneers that came to Ohio and forged their way into a strange new land and about all they had to endure to make it through the cold winters here.  Some came from places that had much warmer climates and didn’t even know just hold cold it could be here.  

It does get pretty cold but thanks to central heating and some warm clothing, I’m usually pretty comfortable during the winter.  I don’t have to go out much so I stay inside a lot.  Gone are the days that I have to go slipping and sliding my way to work.  

My thankful list - Day 18

1142. for my home that gives shelter during the storms
1143. for the storms that strengthen us 
1144. for another new week 

There’s no place like home..

6 comments:

linda m said...

I am very thankful for a nice warm house to live in. Especially since I don't like being cold, it is very nice indeed. Don't think I would have survived in the "olden days" without all my creature comforts. Blessings

peggy said...

So many this morning have lost their homes, it makes us a thousand times more thankful. The sun is shining so brightly now, another day is here.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

I'm also thankful for generators that kick on when the power goes out....!

betty said...

Having seen a lot of homeless here, I too appreciate the warmth of my home. I don't know how the early pioneers managed; I know I am lucky I was born not during that time. I don't think I could have endured the hardships they did.

betty

jack69 said...

Love the memories this one kicks up. Mama warmed bricks then wrapped them in towels for our feet. so many quilts you could hardly move....

Yes thanks for central heat and air.

Good on you!!

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE the quote. And you are so right about home giving shelter.