It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chapter 11, Page 14, Book 13


Thanksgiving 2012

 Joy in one's heart and some laughter on one's lips is a sign that the person down deep has a pretty good grasp of life. 

Hugh Sidey

A sign of the times…

Thanksgiving dinner has always been a big feast at our house.  It still is.  However, I do realize that for many it’s just like any other day.  Some don’t have a family to share a meal with and others don’t have much food at all  in their homes, let alone a feast. I am thankful to have family and friends to share a meal with.

One of the signs of the times seems to be that there are few and fewer dinners spent around the family table.  Less and less time is being spent with family.

Food has always played such an important role in our lives, from Biblical manna from heaven to today’s fruit on the vine. It’s not just a coincidence. Food is something everyone can understand. We all need to eat.  I think that food and faith are closely bound. And so are we. Sharing a meal is perhaps the most important things people can do together as a way to celebrate our humanity, our sameness despite our differences, and our hunger for community.

Maybe we could all make our life a sign of the times, a sign of joy and hope for each new day.

My thankful list - Day 14


1130. for the settlers of a new country
1131. for people that work together to get a job done
1132. for good neighbors, I am blessed to have one


Gratitude is the sign of noble souls. 

Aesop

5 comments:

linda m said...

I haven't been able to spend Thanksgiving with anyone other than my hubby for many years. We make the most of it and enjoy a turkey dinner anyways. I am thankful that I still have family that I get to visit with twice a year. Blessings

betty said...

I do agree that food and faith are tied together, Ma. I also think too that the beginning of sowing the seeds of faith into nonbelievers can be over a deliciously cooked food shared by a believer :)

betty

JeanJournal said...

This year the THANKSGIVING meal is to be at my house~~~and I'm thankful for our family to BE TOGETHER WITH ME this time...THEY ARE COOKING ;) We have been g oing out to a restaurant to eat. I'M THANKFUL TO BE THE WEIGHT I WAS as when CW & I MARRIED IN 1951 (a dream come true ... to me ... SIZE 7/8 ... NOW ... I weigh 106 ~~~Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun ,,,((((((( THANK YOU LORD!!! for PSALM 103:1-5 KJV Holy Bible ))))))) IONL

jack69 said...

You are right about less and less meetings around the family table, I know it is true with us. We will be here. We have had invites for dinner, not sure what the schedule is, but we may be moving on that day. This winter's schedule seems to have just hit the fan and dates everywhere. LOL But thankfully, it will all work out...

TARYTERRE said...

Just going to be my husband and I for Thanksgiving. Lonely, indeed.