It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chapter 11, Page 10, Book 13



When life takes the wind out of your sails, it is to test you at the oars.  

Robert Brault

Being thankful in all things...

Trials and tests are those things we often find very difficult to be thankful for. I often call the results of trials and tests, the lessons I’ve learned and sometimes keep on learning.    I read one of the best descriptions of trials and tests I’d ever seen the other day.  

Trials try us, and tests test us. Most of the time, the purpose of them is to show us who we really are, to reveal character in us. We can think all kinds of good thoughts about ourselves, but until we are put to the test, we don’t know whether those things have become realities in us or not. We may consider ourselves generous, honest, or deeply committed to a particular truth or ideal, but the depth of these dynamics only reveals itself when we’re under pressure. When we go through trials, we learn whether or not we really have the character and commitment we think we have.

Our character and our ability to commit are formed by our life time experiences.  It is the way we choose to deal with these experiences that counts.  I’ve had some really terrible trials in my life.  I’ve been tested to the ‘inth degree.  So far I’ve learned a lot, but I know there is more to learn.  

I don’t think there is a day goes by but that I learn something new.  Truth be told I’m hoping I never get to old to learn and to grow.


My thankful list - Day 10

1118. for fresh air and sunshine
1119. for another birthday to celebrate
1120. for my good health


Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn’t.

Richard Bach


4 comments:

jack69 said...

"The statement I am willing to learn something new every day", should be a motto for us stubborn type humans.

Good on you!!!

betty said...

It is true that life's trials and tests do shape us to live up to what we think we may be. I have often said that I would be a much more shallower person than I may currently be if I didn't have the events that occurred in my life that made me grow, as difficult as some of them are/were. Always good too to learn something new every day. I think that's why some people like those "word a day" calendars to learn a new word daily.

betty

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT quote at the beginning. Happy Birthday whenever it is.

Chatty Crone said...

I think it is hard to be thankful for the trials - but I try ...