It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Chapter 10, Page 27, Book 13

In the other gardens
And all up the vale,
From the autumn bonfires
See the smoke trail!
Pleasant summer over
And all the summer flowers,
The red fire blazes,
The grey smoke towers.
Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
Fires in the fall!

Robert Louis Stevenson
Autumn Fires.



Singing today…

In our region of the world the autumn leaves are glorious. The green leaves turn to shades of yellow, red, and orange. Landscapes turn to canvases only God could paint, the colors so brilliant that they are breathtaking

I started out dreading this  season not only because of the work of raking leaves, but because the days were growing shorter and along with that cold dreary weather would soon follow.  I overlooked its spectacular beauty.  In October the skies seem bluer and than ever and the sunshine and warmth when we have it is more appreciated now than it was in summer.

If we sing for joy at the beauty of autumn leaves, raking them will be all the more enjoyable. So as  I rake leaves, I thank God for making them beautiful so that the task is less of a burden. If we sing for joy in all God’s works, our songs will lighten our load and make our trials easier to bear.

The picture today was taken on one of the warmer afternoons week before last week.  I was sitting on my back patio with my feet up after doing a bit of work outside.  This week it has been to cold to sit out.  Yes, that is my toes showing at the bottom of the picture. 

There is a harmony in autumn, and a luster in its sky, which through the summer is not heard or seen, as if it could not be, as if it had not been!

Percy Bysshe Shelley


5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You know the day is shorter but the nights are longer - I relate night to relaxing! teehee sandie

Hollie said...

The photo is beautiful!! I'm enjoying the fall season!! Almost all the leaves have fell here!

betty said...

Your backyard from this picture looks peaceful Ma. I bet the leaves are such gorgeous colors! I always seem to be commenting to hubby these days how much earlier it is getting darker day by day.

betty

TARYTERRE said...

what a serene setting you have in your yard. LOVE the poem by Robert Louis Stevenson.

jack69 said...

I have never read that by Robert Louis, I like it. I once got a great buy on a bunch of watermelons. I thought to give them to seniors. As I drove up into on lady's yard she was holding her rake. I said I know you dread that job. I sure do, I have to bother this beautiful carpet God has lain for me. I was just standing here admiring it for the last time, before I rake. Of course she wanted a mellon she said.
Good entry,...