It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chapter 10, Page 30, Book 13



Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping.

 Edgar Allen Poe

This is the time of year, with Halloween just a day away, scary poetry, stories, books and movies become extra popular.  I know my children always watched the spookiest movies that they could find.  I watched them along with them, but I’m no fan of haunted houses and the like, so today I’m going to write about the value of naps.

I occasionally watch some of my grandchildren and I know that if they don’t get their nap, they are cranky and out of sorts.  I think we adults benefit from them too.  When I was working, I could have used one.There were many afternoons that  I’d find my self nodding off while trying to input some data on the computer.  It would have been nice, but there was no napping allowed on the job.  

Now I don’t have to worry about that anymore.  I just take one when I need one.  Even the shortest siesta works and makes you feel a whole lot better. Studies show that naps improve creativity and judgement. Just a 15 to 20 minute nap can restore alertness, memory, and curb the effects of fatigue.  

Yawn!  I don't know how I ever managed without my naps!


4 comments:

jack69 said...

I could never handle a nap. It messed with my mind, but now....... zzzzzzzz. (Ha)
Good one, including Edgar Allen Poe.

Chatty Crone said...

I am with you even a 30 minute snooze is good!

Tell me - when you are young no one wants a nap - now we do and there may not be enough time!

Sandie

TARYTERRE said...

I like napping. Sometimes it's just what you need in the middle of the day.

betty said...

I would love if someone would tell me to go and take a nap like we tell our young children and put them down for one. I don't know why they resist them so much too ;)

I love when I have a chance to take a nap. I know what you mean about nodding off in the afternoons while at work, Ma. I find myself not nodding off but yawning and trying to do everything to keep focused for a bit.

betty