It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chapter 10, Page 24, Book 2013


Isn't it funny how day by day 
nothing changes,
but when you look back
everything is different?

C.S. Lewis 

When you look out the window here at my house, you see a quiet and really peaceful street.  The neighbors keep mostly to themselves and no one bothers anyone else with rude or obnoxious behavior.  I live in one of the older sections of town.  My house is was built in 1921.  A lot of my original neighbors have move away due to new housing and people wanting a better place to live.  A few of us remain because this is home and home makes us feel safe and secure.  But it doesn't really matter where you live, things can happen anywhere anytime and when you least expect it.

When I was younger, I never really thought much about what made me feel safe and secure.  I just knew that I was.  But the world is changing and places that we've always thought to be safe aren't anymore.  Every day the news tells us of horrible situations happening in our towns across the nation.  No one seems to be safe anymore.

I've discovered an antidote to any feelings of fear though, and that is that the mood of a day is often set by our focus. If we focus on our problems, our mood is likely to be glum. If we focus on the Lord’s blessings, then in spite of our problems, we can see each day as a day that the Lord has made and we can rejoice and be glad in it 

Just think of 3 things three things you are thankful for and then thank our Father in heaven for them.  Your mood will change.

I'm not about to live a life full of fear of the unknown.  I can be aware of my surroundings and watch out for unusual happenings that might threaten my peace, but beyond that I can count my blessings and be thankful.  When you are busy counting your blessings all fear seems to dissolve and things always look brighter.

When we lose one blessing, another is often, most unexpectedly, given in its place.


 C.S. Lewis

6 comments:

linda m said...

Every day I try to count my blessings. I could never live my life in constant fear. However, I am always cautious and aware of my surroundings; but to always live behind locked doors is not living in my book. When a window closes, God always opens a door.. Blessings

peggy said...

My home field is like yours in many ways. I have seen many changes but to me it is where I am happiest. My friend's mom always said, you can lock your door so no one can get in, but then you might also need to get out.

jack69 said...

You and C.S compliment each other. You are right, looking at blessings ALWAYS changes an outlook.

Good stuff as always.
Jack & Sherry

TARYTERRE said...

It is important to feel safe in your surroundings, for sure.

betty said...

Wow, your house was built the same year my mom was born, Ma, so 92 year old house! I bet lots of memories in it. I can see why you would stay in it too, as long as it was relatively safe to do so, having lived there I'm sure for awhile, familiar with the neighborhood, wonderful memories in it, etc.

It is good to count your blessings, indeed, especially if we are fearful of the unknown. Good advice today!

betty

Carol Z said...

Our building was built in 1911 and I value the thick walls, which keep out noise between the apartments. I try not to let myself become easily scared, especially when going out alone at night, but I am prudent and very observant of my surroundings.