It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, October 14, 2013

Chapter 10, Page 14, Book 13



We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.  

Thornton Wilder

My reflections this past week were all about giving thanks.  The who, the what, the when and the why, of being grateful.

The more I give thanks, it seems the more I have to be grateful for.  And who of us didn't learn to say thank you when you were given something.The words please and thank you were taught to me at an early age.  I know that when a gift is given you give thanks and that's what I try to do daily.

  Last year I started counting 1000 gifts after I read a book by that name written by Ann Voskamp.  I reached my first 1000 gifts last a few weeks ago now and I'm still counting.  This is one habit I don't want to break.

It's easy to give thanks when we receive something good but very difficult when it might be something not so good.  Some hurtful and terrible things happen and those are ones that make if difficult to be thankful for.  Still in life we are to always be thankful.  Every day may not be good , but there is always something good in every day

Living thanks is more important than giving thanks.  When we are content with what we are given it makes being thankful easier.  

The who - Our gracious and good Lord of course

The what - everything

The when - always

The why - because we have been blessed with unending gifts 

Life is a precious gift to cherish, and along with the gift of living, we are given tools to grow and succeed. Among these gifts, we are given strength to keep going when times get tough. And we are given love. So many gifts to be thankful for.


The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!  

Henry Ward Beecher

4 comments:

jack69 said...

I have had the 50's song rolling in my head for the last two days, "Count your Blessings" (Instead of Sheep) by Bing Crosby.
How true.

betty said...

I like the thought of living our thanks, Ma, instead of just saying our thanks. That is wise indeed!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

love the quote at the end.

JeanJournal said...

I'm thankful that I FEEL SO GOOD! and REALLY DON'T feel my age~~~I QUOTE to myself and to the Lord~~~Psalm 103:1~5-~~KJV BIBLE many times a day(verse 5 says Who giveth thy mouth good things to eat so that thy youth is renewed like the eagles)~~~(google about the eagles)~~~Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun ~~~I always love your blog