It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Chapter 10, Page 12, Book 13




The Bend in the Road

When we feel we have nothing left to give
And we are sure that the song has ended;
When our day seems over and the shadows fall
And the darkness of night has descended.
Where can we go to find the strength
To valiantly keep on trying,
Where can we find the hand that will dry
The tears that the heart is crying?

There's but one place to go and that is to God
And, dropping all pretense and pride,
We can pour out our problems without restraint
And gain strength with Him at our side;

And together we stand at life's crossroads
And view what we think is the end,
But God has a much bigger vision
And He tells us it's only a bend;

For the road goes on and is smoother,
And the pause in the song is a rest,
And the part that's unsung and unfinished
Is the sweetest and richest and best;

So rest and relax and grow stronger,
Let go and let God share your load,
Your work is not finished or ended,
You've come to a bend in the road.

Helen Steiner Rice

It's been awhile since I shared a poem from Helen Steiner Rice, and I'm sure I've put this one in my blog before.  I also have a very fall like picture that I like to use with it.

The big bend in my road is coming soon.  It'll be the great turn here that will take us into much colder weather.  I told you about the busyness here of getting ready for winter with all the yard work here at my house, but I really haven't said a whole lot about how I plan on keeping warmer here this year.  

The cold isn't a friend at all to me.  I don't have a cozy fire place to sit by, but I do have lots of cozy throws scattered here and there to cover up with when I'm sitting still.  I also have my apple cider that warms me as I love to heat it up and enjoy it on a cold day.

I've got my cuddle duds which are like a female version of long underwear which are the first item of many layers of clothing I can add or delete depending on the weather.  I've turtleneck shirts, vests and sweaters and wool socks that'll do the job too.  

One thing that warms me up quickly is to get busy and leaf raking will do that job for awhile, before the snow shoveling takes over.  I don't like to talk about or even think about those days just yet.

I'm just thankful for all the things that'll keep me warm when it turns colder.  I'm ready for it whenever it comes.  Today I'm thankful that even though I can see the bend is coming, it's not here yet.  


6 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE the autumn picture. Your cuddle duds sound comfy cozy.

Chatty Crone said...

If you are talking about the bend in the road to fall - I am ready.

JeanJournal said...

Here in Calhoun Georgia our winters are usually mild~~~had no snow last year~~~YOU know how to prepare for winter and I know you have books to read also~~~as for me I go visit one of my children at the first snowflake - (S) ~~~Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun

jack69 said...

I like Helen and her insights as she writes. Also your comments following are always uplifting and happy.
Yeah, fall is here.
Lvoe from NC

betty said...

I think you have a good plan for being warm this fall/winter Ma. It is always good to dress in layers, can add and subtract as you need to based on how cool/warm a day might be.

betty

Carol Z said...

I can't quite see the bend from here, but I know how quick a leap it is until it's here. Right now I'm enjoying warmer weather and no gloves. Have a great Sunday!