It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chapter 9, Page 22, Book 13



Sorrow and scarlet leaf, 

Sad thoughts and sunny weather. 
Ah me, this glory and this grief 
Agree not well together!



Thomas Parsons, 1880, A Song For September


It seems that every year at this same time, I begin to feel a little sad.  The shorter days are already affecting me.  I go to bed early and get up late.  It's like my body is following the rhythms of the sun.  I'm so effected by the lack of daylight that there are days in the depth of winter, I seem to do nothing much but sleep.  I could go easily into an almost animal like state of hibernation.  

Yet, there are so many wonderful things about fall, that there truly is a mixture of sad thoughts and sunny weather going on inside my mind. There is both beauty and sadness in Autumn.  In the fall we tend to get a lot of rain and gloomy days, but then we'll get a wonderfully sunny day with the bluest of blue skies and the leaves seem to pop with color everywhere.  These are the days that I'm thankful that the Autumn season has arrived and the days I want to be outside.  The days of porch sitting are almost a thing of the past here and so I've decorated my swing with a wreath for color.  

 It’s such an odd time of year, when the fresh joys of one season are brought up flush against the cozy yearnings of the other.  It's a time of year when the oven will come on and smells of good cooking will permeate my house.  It's a time when pumpkins, mums and leaves fill my world with a colorful display

I'm going to try to embrace this bittersweet season as I do most, doing the best I can with what I've got.

Happy Fall to Y'All!  

May your Autumn days be filled with color and vitality, gratitude and grace.


Autumn is a season followed immediately by looking forward to Spring.

 Anonymous

6 comments:

jack69 said...

What a beautiful picture to catch the gist of your post. Sad that porch sitting is passing fast, BUT for sure time marches on and the spring will come again, until then You will always be thankful, it is your nature, that is for sure.

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with you 99% of the time - but fall - to me makes me so happy and feel so alive! Well no two people are totally the same. Sandie

betty said...

I can see why fall would be a bittersweet season, Ma, it is hard to have the days be shorter and the sun shine less and the cold weather approaching. Good reflective season too and it is comforting that before we know it, spring will be around the corner :)

betty

TARYTERRE said...

HAPPY FALL to you too. I too like to hibernate more in cooler weather.

JeanJournal said...

Here in Georgia the weather is mostly good and we seldom even get snow.I know you will HAVE HAPPY DAYS this FALL and WINTER dear lady for as Jack says , , , YOU are THANKFUL and LOVING AND KIND AND GOD REWARDS ((( JOY )))) just because HE IS WITH US TO BLESS US!!!!!!! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia girl living in Calhoun) I post on TWITTTER Jean Lewis in Calhoun, Ga(ust things that may encourage others)

Barbara said...

A difficult time for lots of people. The lack of sunlight causing our bodies to be lower on serotonin some being more susceptible that others.

Getting out into the light as much as possible helps.A time for slowing down where possible.