It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chapter 9, Page 14, Book 13




Tis the last rose of summer, 
Left blooming alone; 
All her lovely companions 
Are faded and gone.

Thomas Moore, The Last Rose of Summer, 1830

My delightful rose bush by the patio in the back yard has provided such beauty year after year.  I happened to take this picture of it just a few days ago. 

Truly every thing is fading here and thankfully that included some extremely hot days here last week.  The weekend is pleasantly cool and refreshing.


By all these lovely tokens 
September days are here, 
With summer’s best of weather 
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson, September, 1830-1885

I'm not a big fan of winter, but the first day of fall will be very welcome here.  I've done some decorating here and have a new mum plant sitting on the porch for color, but it can quite compete with the roses.  They aren't fall like in color at all, but they are brilliant!

Roses always remind me to slow down and take the time enjoy the beauty all around me and to appreciate the simple things in life -- to 'Stop and smell the roses'

What a pity flowers can utter no sound!—A singing rose, a whispering violet, a murmuring honeysuckle ...  oh, what a rare and exquisite miracle would these be!

Henry Ward Beecher 

6 comments:

jack69 said...

Who ever coined the statement 'Stop and Smell the roses', formed a deep and lasting thought.
Love the quiet calm of the entry.
SWEET!

Hollie said...

It's cool here this morning also!! I love it!! I have a couple Mums too!! The always are a must when Fall approaches!

betty said...

Such a pretty rose too from your bush, Ma. When I walk by a rose bush, I do stop and smell it :) Also the roses at the grocery store; so many pretty colors there of them.

Glad to hear there's a bit of fall weather for you today :)

betty

JeanJournal said...

Yes Ma ~ the cool days are welcome here in Georgia too ~ I don't have a 'green thumb' as my husband did and he always planted a big garden ~ He was 'country boy' and I'm 'city girl' ~ He let me BE JEAN and I let him BE CW ~ I am SO THANKFUL that we had 54 years together and I know we'll meet again in Heaven!~keep on enjoying EVERYTHING ~ LOVE your entry today ~ Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun)

TARYTERRE said...

Love autumn days. Not fond of snow either. Your roses are beautiful.

Chatty Crone said...

Loved that and I am so ready for fall I can't stand it.