It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Chapter 8, Page 17, Book 13




Mirth is like a flash of lightning, that breaks through a gloom of clouds, and glitters for a moment; cheerfulness keeps up a kind of daylight in the mind, and fills it with a steady and perpetual serenity.  

Joseph Addison

Specially blended for laughter…


With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come. 

William Shakespeare

Enjoy the good moments and forgive the bad.

We live in an incredibly fascinating world that provides all sorts of events daily; some of them we expect and others we don’t; like some of the upheavals around the world of late.  

I didn't have any pictures of flashes of lightning but the picture today shows the sun bursting out of the fog on one of my trips recently,

I’ve had my share of surprises, good and bad, and have been assured that they are all part of life. The good ones make us happy and we cherish and revisit them. 

One of my favorite memories are of the campfires we would have on Friday nights.  We'd all be tired out and often frustrated after a long week of work, but the joy of knowing that we now had a weekend to rest and relax brought lots of fun and laughter all around.

Seems to me that we could all benefit from a Friday night campfire.  We really don't need to be out camping, but in our own homes we could do the same…be filled with joy because we have a weekend at home filled with family and friends and plenty of laughter.

Why is it that so many of us feel we need a special place to enjoy feelings of mirth and joy?    For one thing, many of us really don't take advantage of being at home to feel happy.  I know that when I worked, I'd spend the weekend working at home and was so busy I didn't take the time out to relax and enjoy the company of the others at home.  Family and friends had to wait until the work got done.  

Maybe we'd all benefit from a little preparation ahead of time so we could do just that…rest and relax and have some fun on the weekend. I know that when I was camping I'd have everything packed and ready to go when I left work on Friday afternoon.  I got it ready ahead of time just so I could relax later.  Good times with family and friends that love and support us just can't be beat and are worth a little extra work ahead of time.


I'm wishing you all some laughter and fun to cheer your days.  Don't wait for a special place or time...


Since Time is not a person we can overtake when he is gone, let us honor him with mirth and cheerfulness of heart while he is passing. 

Johann von Goethe

6 comments:

jack69 said...

Yep, this one makes one feel good. It is amazing what 'good' two things have done in my life. Water falls and camp fires. Both make me smile.
Thanks for the reminder.
Smiles from Cleveland, TN

Carol Z said...

And to you! Some of my favorite memories of growing up are raking leaves with my parents. Bright fall days and the family all together.

Hollie said...

Nothing like a good fire and family!!

Linda :) said...

Every night is Friday night at our house, once homework is done, we all join together for dinner and our favorite tv shows... :)

Chatty Crone said...

Why did there seem to be so much more time back then to have campfires?

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE the Shakespeare quote. And campfires are lovely.