It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Chapter 8, Page 8, Book 13



Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest.  

Douglas William Jerrold, A Land of Plenty

Specially blended for summer…


As I've been traveling around the county side this summer in a search for some fresh produce at road side stands, I've come to appreciate all the farmers we have here in northern Ohio.  We've driven by field after field of soybeans and corn.  I have to say that it looks like we'll be having a good harvest here this year.  The lazy days of summer are flying by and for many farm workers the harvest will soon begin.

The fields of sweet corn that we eat are marked off in rows of those that have been picked and those still to be picked.  I have enjoyed several ears of that sweet corn on the cob.  These days my meals have been blessed with a lot of fresh veggies and fruits too.  The cantaloupe are particularly juicy and tasty right now.

I love to make a fresh fruit salad of what ever is on hand.  I just mix it all together for a tasty treat.

Today I'm thankful for the farmers and all they do to help our country stay healthy and growing.  And I'm praying for a bountiful harvest for them all.

There are about 5 main roads that take us out of town here.  I've been on all of them recently and no matter which direction we head in, there are farms and produce stands.  I haven't found any bad ones yet, but some do offer more than others.  Yesterday we found one that had strawberries and I wondered were they really fresh from the farm?  I suppose they could have been and they certainly were fresh.  I do suppose though that this has to be near the end of them. 

With August the lazy hazy days of summer will be ending soon, but while they are here, I'm one that is certainly enjoying them to the fullest.  Not only in my heart and mind, but I have a full belly for sure!  

The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening.  It is a little star dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.  

Henry David Thoreau, Walden

5 comments:

peggy said...

I am so happy for the farmers and crop growers this year too. I hear that bacon is going to be expensive now so we might want to have that bacon and tomato sandwich today. I'm wishing for some nice cucumbers for pickles too. Have a sweet Thursday!

linda m said...

I have a farm stand within a half mile of my house. I dos so love the fresh produce in the summer. Blessings

jack69 said...

We are near DAyton. And from Michigan down we have again seen some beautiful fields of corn and soy. I love to the he large farms and barns. We passed a road side stand jut about 15 mins from here. Can't wait to go back and get some tomatoes and corn.
Good entry. Thankful? you BET!

JeanJournal said...

I have especially enjoyed the tomatos from my son in laws garden~~~and loved the quote EARTH IS HERE SO KIND,THAT JUST TICKLE HER WITH A HOE AND SHE LAUGHS WITH A HARVEST. Thanks Ma~~~Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun)

Chatty Crone said...

I love fresh corn on the cob - there is nothing like it.