It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Chapter 8, Page 29, Book 13




If nature has made you a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart. And though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that.

Frances Hodgson Burnett


The getting and the giving…

From almost the time they can talk, children start to negotiate. If I eat my dinner, will I get dessert? If I clean my room, can I go to the park? The trend doesn’t stop there, however. As they grow up, enter the job market, and go into business, the question remains, What do I get?

For me, it is not what will I get, but what can I give, that makes a huge difference in my life.  Giving is always better than getting and I do love to give to others.  

You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness now. How? By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged.

Dale Carnegie

My problem is that as far as materialistic things, I don't have much to give away, but things like smile, compliments and hugs are what I try to give.  Sadly not everyone in my life appreciates them.  They are looking for the gifts of money and things.

 I think that very time we express love or kindness or even a little compassion, we spark hope in another person. So every day I make a special effort to look at the people around me with love. Our choices can change history in ways we might never know or imagine.  In our materialist world finding out what truly matters make life much more worthwhile.

You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving.  

Author Unknown

5 comments:

linda m said...

I would rather give of myself than give money or stuff. You are right when you say not everyone appreciates this kind of gift. Have a great day. Blessings

TARYTERRE said...

ALL true.

JeanJournal said...

(((( Make me, Mold me, Fill me and Use me each day dear Lord.))) is my daily prayer. IF WE WAKE UP EACH MORNING ~ OUR HEAVENLY FATHER is giving us another chance ~ TO ~ LOVE OTHERS! ~ We didn't make ourself ~ and we are sometimes good and at other times 'we're a mess'!~~ and it is BEST to give ourself away as THE LORD LEADS!!! ~ Jean(Rome Georgia girl living in Calhoun (keep on being SO SPECIAL! Ma)

jack69 said...

Some of the best gifts I ever received were good advice and smiles. I am sure the world is a better place because MA passed by lives, with a smile and encouragement.
Good one!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Again I am with you - a kind world or smile - can change a whole day.