It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Monday, August 26, 2013

Chapter 8, Page 26, Book 13




Leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them.  

Robert Jarvik

Many of us make daily decisions based on the odds. If there’s a 20 percent chance of rain, we may ignore it. If there’s a 90 percent chance, we’ll take an umbrella. The greater the odds, the more our behavior is affected because we want to choose wisely and be successful.

The odds are…

The odds of going to the store for a loaf of bread and coming out with only a loaf of bread are three billion to one. 

Erma Bombeck 

Years and years ago, when my children were small,  I read an article that said one out of 5 people will have cancer.  I thought about that and wondered who out of my family of 9 would have cancer in their lifetime.  As it turned out, it was my youngest son who at the age of 21 found himself the victim of cancer.  Long story short, as of right now he is cancer free and has been since his surgery now 12 years ago. What a blessing!

If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them.  When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope?  We have two options, medically and emotionally:  give up, or fight like hell.  

Lance Armstrong

The odds are it could return, but everyday I'm thankful for the good health he is experiencing right now.  

 Never mind the odds against you.  If you doubled your effort, what would the odds against you do - send for reinforcements?  

Robert Brault

Odds could be that he'll live a long life and a happy one, but who knows?  Only the dear Lord, I'm thinking. Can you count with odds without passing over to possibilities? I believe nothing is impossible for God.

When I googled Counting All the Odds, 3 things came up - gambling, politics and infertility.

In my lifetime, I've seen some faced with infertility problems too.  After counting all their odds, My DD and her hubby were blessed with a beautiful little boy last year.  A miracle!  Of course God had a hand in it!

In our family we don't count the odds much at all but we do count our blessings often! And are very thankful for them.



God is always in control behind the scenes.

4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

We don't either. We take one day at a time, enjoy it to the fullest knowing that God has our back and is in control of every area. Great to hear your son has been cancer free for so long. Hugs

TARYTERRE said...

My husband is an odds watcher. Me not at all.

jack69 said...

Especially like this one MA! Yes we do live by odds.
Love Erma's quote...
Good stuff all over...

Chatty Crone said...

I do keep a grateful journal to be thankful for what I have each day.