It takes hands to build a house, but only hearts can build a home.

Author Unknown

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Chapter 8, Page 25, Book 13



An old picture of my 2 sisters and I, probably sometime in the 1950's

When going through old family albums, my family and I often laugh about which physical characteristics we’ve inherited. We notice primarily the negative ones: short legs, crooked teeth, unruly cowlicks. All of us can easily identify in our ancestors our own least favorite body part. In addition to physical attributes, we also inherited character traits.  There are always some good ones as well as bad ones

Isn't if funny how we try all kinds of methods to overcome physical imperfections by exercise routines, weight loss programs, makeup, hair coloring, cosmetic surgery. But instead of trying to overcome our character flaws, we tend to use them as an excuse for behaving badly. I suppose this is because changing our looks is easier. But I imagine we’d be if we put our energy into character development
.

One of my sons does caricature drawings.  He selects the most prominent part of someones face and enhances that part in his drawings.  Thereby bringing out the character of a person.  It may be their eyes or nose or even their ears.  I've been surprised to see what he selects to the most prominent part of a persons face in his drawings.  He does have a keen eye.

I've never been a good judge of character.  Like most I suppose I draw my conclusions by the outside appearance of a person.  I remember my mom saying she always noticed peoples eyes and could tell a lot about a person by looking at them.  I suppose I'm always drawn to someone with a beautiful smile.  

But looks are deceiving and sometime the person with the warmest smile might be a person in the worst kind of pain.  

More and more I try to give everyone an equal chance.  We all deserve to be judged by more than the outside appearances.

Appearances are deceptive

Aesop

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

What a good, thought provoking blogpost for a Sunday morning!

Scrappy quilter said...

I agree, very thought provoking as always. Hugs

TARYTERRE said...

We should be judged by more than appearance. I LOVE caricatures.

jack69 said...

Aesop was a very wise man.
Love the childhood picture and agree that Character should be the thing we try to sharpen in life.
Good advice and logid.

LOve from NC

Chatty Crone said...

I am so late I am sorry.

I do think appearances can be deceiving.

I also believe the eyes are the paths into the soul.

sandie